• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error message "This book has been returned. Loan not on record".

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2016 Mar 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I borrowed a book from Overdrive which I can open on my computer, but when I transfer it to my nook and try to open I get the error message that the book has been returned. Loan not on record.

I have a Mac

I have uninstalled ADE multiple times an reinstalled including older versions of ADE

What should I do?

Thanks for the help

TOPICS
Download

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2016 Mar 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you open the eBook in Digital Edition?
Has you Digital Edition and your Reader authoirze with the same adobe ID?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2016 Mar 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nanaky,

Last night I could open in Digital Edition but after trying multiple versions I can't even get the downloaded eBook to show up in ADE. Also, yes the eReader and DE are authorized with the same account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2016 Mar 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get you a empty Digital Edition?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same (and other) problems.

I have solved some of them by being sure that both the computer and Nook (etc.) are authorized using the same Adobe ID (and password).

Please note that the old books that failed to load before are GONE (at least in all my efforts).

Forget about them and move on.

If you have borrowed them from public libraries you will most likely not be able to return them, and will just need to wait until their borrowing period passes--for them to disappear from your library checkout account.

Anyways, do NOT try to load any of those old titles that goofed up before.

Start with a new title that you have never had before, and give that one a shot.

That worked for me today, and hopefully it will for you too.

If you need more details, get back to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2016 Apr 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same problem.  I have a Mac and a Nook.  The first time it happened it was with a library epub file for a book that I returned early, and re-borrowed.  I thought that the return somehow messed it up.  I was able to borrow another book just fine.  Then today, it  happened again on a different book that I downloaded from the library.  I can read the book just fine on the digital editions application, but not when I try to open it on my Nook.  Digital Editions shows my Nook is authorized.  I have DE 4.0.3.  In reading other posts, upgrading doesn't seem to help.  Can someone from Adobe please get us the solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2016 May 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problem with a nook and a desktop PC.  I've found that only the books that I downloaded from being on hold are not opening directly on the nook.  I can open the "problem" book from the ADE borrowed bookshelf, and I can open it from the "nook device" on ADE, but not actually open them on the nook after ejecting the nook from my PC, where I then get the error message about the book not being borrowed.  I have no problems reading borrowed books on my nook (simple touch) if they do not come to me via "holds."  I have ADE 4.5.1.etc.  I only started having this problem a few months ago on my previous nook (it died).  I had opened "held" borrowed books for at least a year before this problem started.

There was one book I tried to open on my nook at least 13 times with no luck (every time It was my turn to borrow the book).  Finally, I was able to borrow the book without having to put it on hold first, and had NO problem opening it on my nook!  Whenever I have this problem, I plug the title into "search" box on my computer and delete all files with the title (that's how I know I tried the above book 13 times!).  However, this has no effect on the next time I try to borrow that book via "holds."  At this rate, I'll be reading some of this year's books in 2018!!

Where do I check to see:

"... both the computer and Nook (etc.) are authorized using the same Adobe ID (and password)."?

And what does the "(etc.)" include?   Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Kobo and a Nook and have the exact same problem with both. I found that when I download a library book from

"hold" I get the "already returned" message. Then, if I download a book directly from the library without going through "hold",

I can open both books. Why??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you open the eBook in Digital Edition?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2016 May 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I believe I indicated I can read the book in both ADE from the "borrowed" bookshelf, and in the nook devices section of ADE, just not on the nook device, itself (I'm seeing that others are having the same problem, so in a way, that's a relief).  And the problem is only with books that came to me after being on hold.  When I've been able to get the same book without going through hold, I have had no problem reading it on my nook device.

To: Sandra MacDonald <maxcatz@yahoo.com>

Sent: Monday, May 2, 2016 2:59 AM

Subject: Error message "This book has been returned. Loan not on record".

created by Nanaky in Adobe Digital Editions - View the full discussionCan you open the eBook in Digital Edition? If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8723697#8723697 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8723697#8723697 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" Start a new discussion in Adobe Digital Editions by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624. This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 02, 2016 May 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has you try if work with older version:

http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions/downloads.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2016 May 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it happened when I had ADE 3.0, too, but I have just uninstalled 4.5 and reinstalled 3.0 to test it out.  I need to wait until my next held book becomes available to try it out.  I will let you know.

Thanks.

Sent: Tuesday, May 3, 2016 2:59 AM

created by Nanaky in Adobe Digital Editions - View the full discussionHas you try if work with older version:http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions/downloads.html If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8725984#8725984 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8725984#8725984 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" Start a new discussion in Adobe Digital Editions by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624. This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2016 May 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nanaky,

On my Mac I deleted 4.0.5 and installed version 3.0 and now I can't even import the file into ADE 3.0.  it gives me an error message.  At least with 4.0.5 I could import and read the file in Digital Editions but not on my Nook. 

So then, I went on my PC which had the old version 3.0 of ADE and I was able to import and transfer the file successfully to my Nook.  When I tried to read it at first it gave me the error message but behind it was the book cover and then after I clicked ok on the error, I was able to open and read the book.  So partial success, in that I can do it through my PC, but not on my Mac, which I use when I am travelling. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what happened to me 2 days ago, and I posted that on the forum as a reply.  Just reinstall 4.5 (search web for ADE 4.5 download).  THEN uninstall 3.0 (do 4.5 install first, so your books will not be lost).

Just brings us back to the original situation, I think.  I didn't have a book on hold that I could test it on.  The book it was my turn for, I had tried to download to 3.0, so lost my turn again.

Sent: Thursday, May 5, 2016 4:23 PM

created by poidog808 in Adobe Digital Editions - View the full discussionNanaky,I just deleted 4.0.5 and installed version 3.0 and now I can't even import the file into ADE 3.0.  it gives me an error message.  At least with 4.0.5 I could import and read the file in Digital Editions but not on my Nook.  Help, please. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8732347#8732347 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8732347#8732347 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" Start a new discussion in Adobe Digital Editions by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624. This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post here to let us/me know if going back to 4.5 at least lets download to ADE again (i.e., returns to the original situation)?

Sent: Thursday, May 5, 2016 4:23 PM

created by poidog808 in Adobe Digital Editions - View the full discussionNanaky,I just deleted 4.0.5 and installed version 3.0 and now I can't even import the file into ADE 3.0.  it gives me an error message.  At least with 4.0.5 I could import and read the file in Digital Editions but not on my Nook.  Help, please. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8732347#8732347 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8732347#8732347 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" Start a new discussion in Adobe Digital Editions by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624. This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I got the solution.  You have to download ADE 3.0, but afterward you have to de-authorize the application and then re-authorize it or it won't be able to import the library file into ADE.  In order to do that on my Mac, I had to press Command+Shift+D when ADE was open and the dialog box asks if you really want to de-authorize.  Click yes, then re-authorize by going up to help and selecting authorize.  Now I can import, transfer and read my library books that have been on hold as well as those not on hold.  Phew!  Why doesn't Adobe post this on their FAQs in one easy Q & A?  And why does the latest versions on ADE not work on Nook?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds good.  I'll give it a try later tonight or tomorrow.  Just got through with days-long spring cleaning and I am beat!   lol   I will report back after trying, although I still need to wait for for my turn with another book on hold.

Thanks!

Sent: Thursday, May 5, 2016 5:25 PM

created by poidog808 in Adobe Digital Editions - View the full discussionOk, I got the solution.  You have to download ADE 3.0, but afterward you have to de-authorize the application and then re-authorize it or it won't be able to import the library file into ADE.  In order to do that on my Mac, I had to press CommandShiftD when ADE was open and the dialog box asks if you really want to de-authorize.  Click yes, then re-authorize by going up to help and selecting authorize.  Now I can import, transfer and read my library books that have been on hold as well as those not on hold.  Phew!  Why doesn't Adobe post this on their FAQs in one easy Q & A?  And why does the latest versions on ADE not work on Nook? If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8732436#8732436 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8732436#8732436 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" Start a new discussion in Adobe Digital Editions by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624. This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2016 May 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally got my turn to borrow a book that was on hold.  I changed out ADE 4.5 for 3.0 (uninstalled 4.5), deauthorized, then authorized (I have windows), and now I get message   No permission to copy bookwhen I try to move copy from ADE 3.0 to my nook

Help?

Thanks.

Sent: Thursday, May 5, 2016 5:25 PM

created by poidog808 in Adobe Digital Editions - View the full discussionOk, I got the solution.  You have to download ADE 3.0, but afterward you have to de-authorize the application and then re-authorize it or it won't be able to import the library file into ADE.  In order to do that on my Mac, I had to press CommandShiftD when ADE was open and the dialog box asks if you really want to de-authorize.  Click yes, then re-authorize by going up to help and selecting authorize.  Now I can import, transfer and read my library books that have been on hold as well as those not on hold.  Phew!  Why doesn't Adobe post this on their FAQs in one easy Q & A?  And why does the latest versions on ADE not work on Nook? If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8732436#8732436 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8732436#8732436 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" Start a new discussion in Adobe Digital Editions by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624. This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2016 May 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boy, you have the luck, huh?  First, did you de-authorize both your computer and your Nook before borrowing the book and downloading it?  Re-download if not.   Next, why does it say you are trying to copy the book when you should be importing it or transferring it through ADE to your plugged in Nook? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and it's apparently that nook glowlights at least are compatible with ADE 2.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have nook simple touch.  I had ADE 3.0 for a long time, and don't recall having issues.  I don't recall when I upgraded to 4.5, which is why I'm trying 3.0 again.  Will know hopefully within the week (I'm next for one of the books I'm waiting on).

Sent: Tuesday, May 3, 2016 1:05 PM

created by Sarah Denis in Adobe Digital Editions - View the full discussionI had the same problem and it's apparently that nook glowlights at least are compatible with ADE 2.0. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8727067#8727067 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8727067#8727067 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" Start a new discussion in Adobe Digital Editions by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624. This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now Overdrive can't download a book that's been on hold (my turn today for the book) because my computer doesn't recognize the *.acsm file !!  That's an ADE file extension, according to my search.  My other borrowed books (not via hold) have .epub extensions, and I'm not having any problem reading them in ADE 3.0.

I have no idea what's going on with all this.  Guess I'll go back to ADE 4.5, and just wait for books I want to not need to be put on hold.

Thanks for trying.

Sent: Wednesday, May 4, 2016 2:57 AM

created by Nanaky in Adobe Digital Editions - View the full discussionGood Luck. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8728264#8728264 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8728264#8728264 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" Start a new discussion in Adobe Digital Editions by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624. This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Kobo and a Nook and have the exact same problem with both. I found that when I download a library book from

"hold" I get the "already returned" message. I also get the message about half the time when I download books that have

not been on hold. Is there any way to be sure I can read books I wait weeks to get?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I figured out that it only happened to books I got from being on hold, but now that you mention it, the error message actually showed up for one book a week or so ago that I borrowed the usual way (not via hold).

I dislike waiting all that time and not being able to read the book, too.  Three of them I've put back on hold at least three times      recently; one of the first books this happened to, I tried 13 times (it was coming out of hold evey other day, so apparently I was the last person who needed it on hold) before it finally stopped needing to be placed on hold, and I borrowed it and read it with no problem!

I tried going back to ADE 3.0, but then the book wouldn't even download, and it had a different extension than the books I do not get from hold (outright borrowed usually end in *.epub; the books from the hold section apparently end in *.acsm, and my computer said it didn't recognize .acsm, never mind that I had previously opened books with that extension.  I put ADE back to v 4.5, but need to wait for my next book to release from hold to find out what happens next.

So frustrating, after not having any issues with any book for over a year.

Sent: Wednesday, May 4, 2016 12:35 PM

created by jo annw23306480 in Adobe Digital Editions - View the full discussionI have a Kobo and a Nook and have the exact same problem with both. I found that when I download a library book from "hold" I get the "already returned" message. I also get the message about half the time when I download books that havenot been on hold. Is there any way to be sure I can read books I wait weeks to get? If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8729239#8729239 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8729239#8729239 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" Start a new discussion in Adobe Digital Editions by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624. This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines