• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extremely frustrating product. Slow scrolling makes Digital Editions useless.

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2013 Dec 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Adobe Digital Editions for studying recently and I will not be using it anymore.

I'm going back to the paper versions of my textbooks.

Studying anything using Adobe Digital Editions is an exercise in patience and frustration. I have to wait almost 30 seconds to scroll to a new page in the textbook. Do you guys at Adobe have any idea how frustrating that is when trying to study? I am forced to use Digital Editions and am very unhappy with it.

I have often wanted to scroll to a next page and had to do the following: Press the 'down' button on my keyboard 5-6 times, go to my kitchen for a drink of water, come back and wait for the page to finish scrolling. I also could have changed the size of the text to fit the page (which takes 4-5 seconds to do), press 'down' once, and then re-size the text again (which takes 4-5 seconds to do if the program doesn't freeze). Neither of these options is acceptable.

Sometimes the program freezes completely and has to be forced to shut down with Windows Task Manager.

I don't know how or why Digital Editions is such a failure technologically as Adobe is a large corporation with a huge amount of resources at its disposal.

One would think making a fucntional E-Book reader should be a breeze for Adobe.

The issue is not my computer. I have a dual-core processor and 3 GB RAM. An E-Book reader should work very well on my machine. Another forum commenter mentioned that his computer has 32 GB of Ram and a quad-core processor and he said exactly the same as what I said: Scrolling pages in Digital Editions is an absolute nightmare and makes the product unusable.

TOPICS
Download

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 28, 2013 Dec 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADE is indeed a disgrace to an otherwise respecable company.

You may find that the older version 1.7.2 behaves much better.

Also, try Sony Reader; free download from Sony intended to run with Sony eReaders but works quite happily without.

I prefer ADE1.7.2 to Sony Reader. https://ebookstore.sony.com/download/

~~~~~~~~~

There are lots of bugs in ADE2.0 (and 2.0.1).  Try replacing ADE2.0 with the older but more reliable v1.7.2.

(You can have them both installed at once if you like.)

Version 1.7.2, it is a little difficult to find, available on Adobe site for Windows and for Mac.

http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/cant-install-digital-editions.html

The forum software is sometimes corrupting the link above.  There shouldn't be a blank in 'editio ns.html'.  The following redirects to the same page: http://tinyurl.com/diged172

Some people have found ADE trying to upgrade automatically. 

It appears (not 100% sure) that if you install ADE2.0 as a new install (not as an upgrade) that your 1.7.2 will continue to run.

Probably best to say no if 2.0.x installation asks if you want to migrate your library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2013 Dec 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sjpt, thank you for your suggestion! I will try to use an earlier version of ADE.

It's pretty sad that downgrading a product may be the only way it's usable!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So true. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree. This product seems to have been designed by someone who never actually read a book! The only possible justification for this software is to protect copyrighted content. I get that. But trying to use it like trying to drive a car with 4 flat tires or trying to shave without a razor. Utterly worthless product. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe plays stupid. This problem exists for many years. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2022 Dec 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AWFUL PRODUCT 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You may find that ADE opens faster and works faster if you rewove all unnecessary books from its Library and only keep those you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines