Over a week - not that computer literate but been on a forum and being helped so much but not getting anywhere.
1. Have made sure all Windows 10 - up todate (Grasping at straws in case something was clogging up system)
2. Have deleted all books on files?
3. Checked 'Choose Default Apps by File type' - all OK for ADE
4. Deleted ADE and restarted laptop - with fingers crossed.
5. Went to Library downloaded book and up comes this screen for ADE basically wanting to download program again!
Gone are the days when I could just choose my book, download - see ADE open with book downloaded across - plug in KOBO - move across - happy days!
Thanking you in anticipation that someone else has had this frustrating time consuming problem and can help me.
P.S. I have just read on here, i think my brain is all over the place now, that you can try downloading from Library in ADE. So I searched where it should be and looked in my computer -
6. Under Documents - Adobe Digital Edition - clicked on but the book I just downloaded isn't listed. Others have but they have a symbol with a BLUE -e is that correct? Is that a clue to what is going wrong?
Went onto old laptop (Win 8) and see re: point 6 above the Blue e - is a ADE icon. Went into properties of a book and it says 'open with Microsoft Edge - I clicked and said Chrome (I think) anyway they all came back up with ADE Icon. Sooooo I think Microsoft Edge is trying to get in there somewhere - don't understand this!!!
Anyway tried downloading another book thought i had cracked it - but up came the window to download ADE again!!!
I had the same problem when downloading books from Google Play (books) - suddenly appeared and nothing worked, including installing Digital Editions 3.0 (which, according to some people, is the solution). Every time I tried to upload the *.acsm file into Digital Editions it just froze up.
Finally, I did a search on my computer for epub-files - and all the books were converted from *.acsm to epub files and in a directory. I copied them over into kobo and could read them just fine. So the conversion worked, but the files never showed up in Digital Editions.