• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I preserve or save my highlights and notes?

May 30, 2013 May 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have lost my highlights and notes twice now after closing a book in digital editions and then reopening it later.  Is this a common problem?  How do I save this work so that it is still there the next time I open up the book?

TOPICS
Kobo editions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Hi there! I was in a similar situation and found something that worked for me: 

- When the "lending" of the book expires, DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING. Just leave it on your library, like a zombie. 

- Download the book again (in my case, borrow it again from my university library). Now you should have two versions of the same book in your ADE library: the old expired one and the fresh new one. 

- Open the new version, highlight just anything and close it again. 

- Go to C:\Users\<username>\OneDrive\Docum

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
May 30, 2013 May 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Levon,

you can find your notes in Digital Editions / Annotations. The notes files are *.annot.

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

sorry for adding onto this old thread - just wondering if it's possible to apply an annotation file to a book after redownloading? Most of the books from my university library can only be downloaded for a couple of days so that I then have to redownload them. I would like to preserve the comments/highlights from the first version and apply them to the newly downloaded book if possible.

Many thanks!

Viola

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! I was in a similar situation and found something that worked for me: 

- When the "lending" of the book expires, DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING. Just leave it on your library, like a zombie. 

- Download the book again (in my case, borrow it again from my university library). Now you should have two versions of the same book in your ADE library: the old expired one and the fresh new one. 

- Go to C:\Users\<username>\OneDrive\Documentos\My Digital Editions\Annotations (or something similar on your PC). 

- Find the ".annot" documents with the title of your book. There should be two, in my case "Risikogesellschaft" for the old version and "Risikogesellschaft-1" for the new version. 

- Replace the title of the new version to just anything (I didn't dare to delete it, you possibly could), and replace the title of the old version with the title of the new version (in my case, "Risikogesellschaft" becomes "Risikogesellschaft-1"). 

- Open the new version of the book on Adobe Digital Editions and check if the highlights and annotations are there. 

I really really hope this works! And I hope I didn't make any mistakes in the instructions 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for saving a week´s workload and subsequently my day.

Another annotation 😉

Make sure to download the new version of the book in the same file format (epub/pdf) or else it won´t work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2023 Dec 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much @Cristina5FDC , this saved me a whole month's work!!  🙂 

Hey, I notice some people talking about 'trying to open’ the ".annot" file ......
I didn't try to actually open the ".annot" file, instead I right-clicked the ".annot" file to rename it as per  @Cristina5FDC who, I think, was talking about opening the book file (the ".epub file) rather than the ".annot" file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you see in several of the replies below (including this one), it is not always possible to open the .annot file. For me, my Mac says there is no application that can open a .annot file (including ADE). How can we use the .annot file to re-apply previously made highlights to a document when annotations disappear?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like to know this, my highlights and notes disappeared as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem on mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have the save question. How could I preserve the note and highlight on my Adobe digital book?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Once I open my Adobe Digital Edition Ebook, how could I also open *.annot file which I assume that my old highligh and note are saved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2020 May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry this is not a reply but I do not see how to post. I would just like Adobe to understand the extent of this ridiculous problem. I too have just lost a day's worth of highlights. Furious and disgusted. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the same position. I had a few days of highlights that have to be submitted for my class that are completely gone. Because we run on block schedule, the information I lost is equivalent to weeks of work. It is pointless to have a highlight function if those highlights are not going to be saved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! I created an account just to be able to answer. I found something that worked for me: 

- Go to C:\Users\<username>\OneDrive\Documentos\My Digital Editions\Annotations (or something similar on your PC). 

- Find the ".annot" documents with the title of your book. There should be two, in my case "Risikogesellschaft" for the old version and "Risikogesellschaft-1" for the new version. 

- Replace the title of the new version to just anything (I didn't dare to delete it, you possibly could), and replace the title of the old version with the title of the new version (in my case, "Risikogesellschaft" becomes "Risikogesellschaft-1"). 

- Open the new version of the book on Adobe Digital Editions and check if the highlights and annotations are there. 

I really really hope this works! And I hope I didn't make any mistakes in the instructions 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You get a million cool points from me. Thanks for taking the time to help everyone out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines