• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to navigate back to previous position after hyperlink?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2014 Jun 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I couldn't find a way with ADE to navigate back to the previous position after clicking a hyperlink.  I have to either traverse through the TOC, or remember my page number and go back to it.  With Calibre, I can just Alt-Left Arrow, like with a web browser.  I found that this had been noted back in 2007 in Epub readers: Adobe Digital Editions, FBReader and OpenBerg Lector—reviewed with a little tough love... :

One missing item in Digital Editions is a “Back” button to allow you to return to where you were after a hyperlink jump. Now, you may be saying that “this is an e-book reader and not a web browser.” True enough, but hyperlinks are a supported part of the epub specification and they can have many uses in an e-book. Jumping to an endnote or a glossary definition are just two routine uses. You can click on a hyperlink in Digital Editions and it will jump there (although slowly), but the program has no mechanism to allow you to return to where you came from. You would have to select the chapter you were in from the table of contents and then page through, until you find your previous position. Not good. Also, if you do use a hyperlink jump to another part of the e-book and then close that e-book, your reading position is not remembered, as it is otherwise.

Am I missing an option?  If not, please add this feature to your next release.

Thank you,

Ari

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Five (long) years have passed and this option is not added in ADE. Not only that, but obviously Ari's thorough comment was not followed by any answer from Adobe team. What can I conclude from that situation?

What I conclude is that Adobe company does not give a rotten nut for what their customers or users need. Maybe they think the free of charge product like ADE does not deserve to be maintained. They don't care for most features of ADE should be dropped in favour of  'navigate back' option. That is how important it is for users. But the capitalist large company, obviously, does not follow the market demand. 294 people watched this, obviously interested in the topic. 

So we, the current or potential customers, will also don't give a dam for Adobe products. That is the best way to teach them a small lesson. I have already ditched Adobe products in previous years, after decades of using them, and gladly payed for  software packages from other companies whose behaviour is more like respecting their customers. Why would I respect someone who so badly disrespect me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please create a back button. It is a function you should have. People are used to back buttons as it is major in Web Browsers. Not the same but still important as you have to do 3-4 steps to go back. TOC, Click to Section and navigate until you find the specific page....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am also looking for this function. Is very much needed in e-books with multiple links to breakouts and other chapters etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines