I have an issue where when I renew library books downloaded from borrowbox and from overdrive. Despite being part way through reading a book, when I renew it, redownload it to update the due date then transfer the renewed book onto my kobo, the kobo says I'm not authorized to read the book. I then have to deauthorize my account and reauthorize it so I can continue reading.
This has happened multiple times over the last few months, I'm comfortable saying every time I renew a book. Although deauthorizing and reauthorizing my account resolves the issue at the time, it's not addressing the ongoing pattern. Does anyone know how I could resolve this?
After two days of grief getting messages on my e-reader telling me: "Because you previously deauthorized your eReader, you need to re-import the book using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE). Please visit help.kobo.com for more information", and several times following and failing with the earlier recovery steps (deleting problem books, deauthorizing ADE, getting new books, re-uploading books from the library, etc. etc.) that have always worked before, plus about an hour yesterday on instant messaging with Kobo support staff, I am happy to report that my Kobo Glo HD is finally recognizing that it is indeed authorized to read ADE files. Kobo support staff recommended that I downgrade from the latest version of ADE to ADE 3.0. But I’m not at all comfortable with that.
These are the laborious steps I followed:
1. Deleted the books from the Kobo
2. Deauthorized ADE with the eReader (clicked on e-reader to go to the gearshift icon to the right in the side menu)
3. Deauthorized ADE with the computer (from the Help Menu at the top)
4. Using "recently added" section of ADE, deleted all the copies of the problem books from ADE
5. Deleted the books from the computer (usually there is a downloads file and a my adobe digital editions file) deleted the books from both
6. Closed ADE
7. Disconnected the Kobo from the computer (after this was done, seeing a message saying the the e-reader was not authorized to read ADE files) Duh. I know! This is the reason for this ridiculous list!
8. Turned off the computer and walked away (errm... stomped away).
9. About 12 hours later, turned on the computer, opened ADE 22.214.171.124 and authorized it with the computer, then, after going to the public library website to get a new copy of it, downloaded one of the problem books to ADE.
10. Closed ADE
11. Connected e-reader to the computer and ran Kobo Desktop to check for updates and re-sync the e-reader.
12. Opened ADE and authorized e-reader, leaving e-reader connected to the computer.
13. Closed ADE.
14. Opened ADE and erased authorization for the computer, but left the e-reader authorized.
15. Went to the public library website and downloaded a NEW book as well as the rest of the new copies of what were the problem books from the public library to the computer- it seems to be essential to get one that has not been previously borrowed. Uploaded the new book to ADE. As usual, Adobe PROMPTED me for authorization. (If it doesn't, I go back to "help" at the top and reauthorize ADE.)
16. Uploaded the NEW book into my e-reader, followed by just one of the earlier books (Selected "ereader" - ie: NOT all items, or borrowed items, or.... Opened the books in the ereader area to confirm that they opened there).
17. Disconnected e-reader from computer. Success at last!
18. Re-connected e-reader to the computer.
19. Re-uploaded the rest of what were the problem books to the e-reader.
20. Disconnected e-reader from the computer. I am able to read all my library books again!
Of all those steps, I might not have had to do the second half of step 9. But I don't care. I can finally read my library books again.
Perhaps this will resolve other peoples' difficulties with Kobo giving out erroneous and difficult to solve messages about authorization for library books.
Thank you for sharing your experience in detail!
For the sake of another data point, I followed these steps to the T and it did not work for me 😞 Still getting the deauthorized message, still can't read my library books.
Thanks for the detailed explanation, sadly it doesn't work for me. I think I've tried everything on the forum now. This present is more a curse than it is a gift. Really sad that this is supposed to be the new way of reading and is so badly supported.