I have a Sony ereader and use Kobo to purchase and I download the ebooks using Adobe Digital Editions. It has all been working fine for years. In recent weeks I have purchased 2 e-books on different occasions where there is an error message (see title of discussion). I have tried everything - uninstalled and reinstalled digital editions, tried the Adobe contact help desk (via desktop chat) with no resolution, I also tried Kobo who couldn't help and simply refunded my money and removed the ebooks from my library. But, I really want to read the books. Can anyone offer a solution. There must be something relatively simple that I'm either doing or not doing. I'm not a computer whiz by any means and probably won't be able to do any coding stuff. But I'd still appreciate any info. TIA.
I've seen the same issue in the last few weeks for 5 books I purchased. The ACSM files from Kobo show things like "="E_URLLINK_NO_SUCH_RESOURCE" in the XML text when viewed in an editor. The ADE error message is "Error getting license. License Server Communication problem." To see if it was only Kobo I bought an identical book from Google Books (it was only $1.99) and it also generated an error in ADE 4.51., although the XML in that file looked a bit different than in Kobo.
So, I'm thinking the publisher or distributor of the epubs is not sending the necessary data for the ACSM file when Kobo or Google requests it when you click Download. ADE then generates an error because the data in the ACSM file is bad. I'm hoping the distributor fixes this and we can try the download again successfully.