Loan Token Not Found on Nook Simple Touch

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2015 May 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Computer OS: Windows 8.1.

ADE version: 4.0.3.114137

Device: B&N Nook Simple Touch

After working fine as recently as a few days ago, my Nook is suddenly unable to read a book downloaded from my public library.  The book can be read on the Windows desktop using Adobe Digital Editions, but when I use Digital Editions to transfer the book to my Nook reader, I cannot read it there.  The book appears in the Library on the Nook, but when I try to open it, I get the message "Loan token not found."

Doing a factory reset (erase and deregister device) and re-registering the Nook, then re-authorizing it using Adobe Digital Editions does not fix the problem.

If I look at the Nook using the Windows File Explorer and examine the file .adobe-digital-editions\activation.xml, I can see that it does not contain any <loan token> section.  So the Nook has correctly reported that there is no loan token, and it appears that ADE has transferred the book without properly updating this file.

TOPICS
Download

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you richardr93369096 for posting that information about clearing the registry!  I had to completely delete my ADE folder in the Registry and completely start over with 3.0 before mine would work. But excited to have my Nook working again! It's in such great shape....hate to get rid of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10, nook 1.2.2. Your approach worked in 2020, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on a Mac with a Nook simple touch. I installed ADE version 3 and didn't work. I installed version 2 and it worked! Need to deauthorize the ADE by pressing command + shift + D because it's not in the menus. I also reset my NOOK user profile but not sure if that factors in. Finally~~~

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to everyone! I'd had no problems with the first couple books from my local library after moving, but suddenly I got the dreaded "Loan token not found" message. I'd tried everything in the OverDrive troubleshooting page and even tried contacting them for help (the shunted me to my library, who passed the buck to some shady site called 'tablethelpline.com'). Downgrading to ADE 3.x, clearing the registry, and all that finally brought my Nook Simple Touch back to life!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few weeks ago I started getting the "Loan token not found" message on my Nook glowlight and found this thread. After about four hours of playing around, I think I've finally solved it! I hope the details below help someone else in the future.

What worked for me was:

1. Unauthorizing my device and computer on my current version of ADE.

2. Unistalling my version of ADE (4.5.10).

3. Installing ADE 3.0 from Adobe Digital Editions downloads  (scroll to the bottom of the page).

4. Authorizing my computer and device on ADE 3.0.

5. Borrowing a new book from OverDrive and browsing to ADE 3.0 when downloading the EPUB file. This was critical for me, it wasn't working with an already borrowed and downloaded ebook.

6. Adding the book to my Nook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2019 Apr 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just gave the downgrade to ADE 3.0 a shot on my MacBook running 10.13.6 with NOOK Simple Touch with glowlight (BNRV350) and it worked flawlessly. Thanks for figuring out how to get this working again.

Steps I took on the Mac.

1. Return all books checked out to overdrive and delete them from the NOOK (for me it was one so not that big of a deal. Sorry to anyone and everyone who has a bunch checked out )

2. Unauthorize both your NOOK and ADE installation

3. Remove the ADE app from Applications by moving it to the trash after force closing the app with Command+Q. Alternatively, use something like AppZapper or AppCleaner to really clean out that program. Note: I used AppCleaner to remove the software.

4. Delete the Digital Editions folder located in /Users/[username]/Documents. Note: [username] is whatever your username on your computer is.

5. Delete the Digital Editions folder on your NOOK

6. Eject the NOOK

7. Empty the Trash now that is has all the ADE files in it.

8. Reinstall ADE version 3.0 from the link provided earlier in the forum. Note: depending on your OSX or macOS installation, the package might say it needs to be updated to function properly but it still worked for me.

9. Launch ADE and reauthorize it

10. Plug in your NOOK and reauthorize it

11. Check out a book and move it to the NOOK. Viola you can read books again

Hopefully laying this out step by step helps a few people.

Also to the points made in the forum, this is probably an Adobe issue. I used the same book from my library to go from not working to working. The ADE versions that didn't work were 4.5 and 4.5.10, but as soon as I "downgraded" to 3.0, no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downgrading to 3.0 is simply no longer an option. Mac OS will no longer run it! Need a new fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, Catalina ADE 4.5.11 w/ old Nook Glowlight,  the solution to 'loan token not found' was to load an 'old title' from overdrive/libary. Unbeleivable (YMMV), that that fixed ny problem. Had previously spent many (many 10+)  frustrating hours trying other solutions ( uninstall, wipe, deauthorize, reauthorize, remove dirs/hidden files, synch accounts, reinstall,  even went so far as completely wiping/deregistering my nook). The **only** change between the 'not working' phase ( the dreaded 'loan token not found'  seen for the four hundredth time) and the 'working' phase, was to delete ( not return) the titles on my nook ( via ADE) and then load an 'old title' from overdrive/library. Don't know how much sense it makes but thinking is ( at least in my case/experience) was the DRM tied to date or the way overdrive/libraries are applying the DRM.  After that 'old title' loaded, I could load all my other newer borrowed titles without isssue ( that had previoulsy been giving the 'loan token not found'. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much !! This last one actually worked for me. I was about to use my partner's kindle.

I ended up borrowing another book, an "old one" as mentioned Jim0D4C : one of the harry potter.

- Borrow the book via overdrive,

- Download the book to my laptop (Windows 10)

- Open with ADE (version 4.5.10)

- Remove the "problematic" book triggering the "Loan Token Not Found" from the device via ADE

- Add the "old book" (in my case the Harry Potter book)

- Add the "problematic" book

- Eject Nook & open both to check that both worked.

Notes:

- I didn't need to return the "problematic" book.

- I didn't need to reinstall / re-authorize anything.

As mentioned by previous user it must be linked to an older version of the DRM or something but I chose to blame ADE.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADE 4.5 is clearly the problem.

It randomly does not update the file activation.xml on your device.

After you drag a book in ADE to your portable device check to see if activation.xml was updated.

If it didn't, borrow another book, drag it to your device.

Repeat until activation.xml is updated.

All the books will then be readable.

(I seem to find that PDF books works better for poking this. It could be DRM or age or the barometer.)

C'mon, Adobe, this bug is over FIVE YEARS OLD!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update for anyone dealing w this issue in 2021, I was having all the same issues above and downloading ADE 3.0 is apparently no longer an option from Adobe. 

Adding a very old book to your library and then the nook did it for me. I added Carrie from 2008 then re-added a modern book and it finally works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! What made the difference for me on your instructions versus the others was that you gave the name of the "old book" that you added (Carrie by Stephen King). I used that book and then the modern book worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heads up that you may have to repeat that process periodically. I just had to today because I got errors trying to add a recent best seller. Deleted the book w errors, re-borrowed and re-added Carrie, then successfully added new book. What a pain!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to do this with about every third book I check out from my library through overdrive. Sometimes I get a "loan not on record" message, which I can get around by deleting the ADE folder from my nook, but for the "loan token not found" I have to check out just any other book and load it on my nook, and then things work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!!! Trying this right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I can't believe this worked. I was about to take my Nook and drive over it with my truck. Thank you SO MUCH.  Why in the heck is this an issue and thanks to the genius that figured it out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me on Mac today as described by the poster. Thanks for sharing your steps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is interesting. I have done everything on your list, rinse and repeat. The only book that will load is an old title. I will try your steps and load another old title and see where I can go from there. Thank you for posting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have spent over 8 hours of my. life on this incredibly FRUSTRATING issue. My Nook Glowlight 1.2.2 suddenly QUIT dowloading epub books from the library. I get all the error messages - loan token not found, user not activated. I have done everything - uninstalled and reinstalled ADE 4.5, authorized and deauthorized both my computer and my Nook. NOTHING. I'm convinced it is the upgrade to ADE 4.5. I am not able to delete ADE 4.5 and install ADE 3.0. ADE 3.0 is no longer supported by my Mac. I'm ready to crush the Nook under my feet!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! I've been reauthorizing and deleting files for years and nothing worked and I was about to give up on my old NOOK Simple Touch. I use a Mac so ADE 3.0 doesn't work anymore. I downloaded an old book, The Three Musketeers, which seemed to be a different format than more recent ebooks, and deleted all copies of the problem books on my Nook through ADE. I clicked on the thumbnails and pressed delete. Then, I opened the Three Musketeers in ADE (by clicking on the downloaded ACSM file) and then reopened the problematic books by clicking on the ACSM files and now everything is working on my NOOK. So easy and quick! (To everyone searching, see this thread to fix the dreaded "Loan token not found" error on old NOOK Simple Touch.) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!

I'm now finding that I can't load any books on my Nook Color without getting the ''Loan Token Not Found'' error msg.  Without checking here first, thinking I could ''fix'' it on my own, I've wasted several hours and tried every remedy that I know to do.  Including de-authorizing, uninstalling, deleting, etc...  Nothing is working at this point.  I've even deleted all of the old books on my Nook and have re-registered it.  PLEASE, if someone could help me.  I see so many fixes above, but I feel like I've tried each one - or atleast most of them.  I also feel like I really just need to start totally over from scratch, but I've messed around so much that I don't know where to begin.  Please, PLEASE someone advise me as to what I should do now!!  I'm an avid reader and am so very frustrated now. 😞

Many, many thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just worked for me thank you so much! Was able to find the ADE 3.0 installer at the bottom of the page here: https://www.adobe.com/solutions/ebook/digital-editions/download.html. I was sure to unauthorize everything and then uninstall my previous attempts at downloading ADE 3.0 and 4.5 and started from scratch. So happy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2023 Dec 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Got the version 4.5.12.85 for my old Nook B&N and it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines