Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple copies of the same book

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This is my first time using this product and i'll admit I think I may have caused this issue myself, but once I got the ADE installed for the tech manual I was trying to purchase I ended up getting 5 copies of the same book.  I was wondering if anyone else had that issue, or saw something similar.

I'll delete the 4 copies I don't need, but want to make sure there is nothing else going on.

Thanks in advance for any input.

TOPICS
ACSM files

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Same thing happened to me. I think I found it on another thread:

Duplicate ebook in the adobe digital library in the cloud

Yes the problem is that every times you click or open the .acsm file you request the file to be copied into your library

I played around with it and found that to be true, but also another thing was creating duplicates. Apparently, Adobe thinks people will remember to open ADE in order to find and read an ebook. If you don't, things get buggy. Here's my debriefing.

You can open

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happened to me. I think I found it on another thread:

Duplicate ebook in the adobe digital library in the cloud

Yes the problem is that every times you click or open the .acsm file you request the file to be copied into your library

I played around with it and found that to be true, but also another thing was creating duplicates. Apparently, Adobe thinks people will remember to open ADE in order to find and read an ebook. If you don't, things get buggy. Here's my debriefing.

You can open your ebook by:

1. Opening ADE first and clicking it from the library.
  2. Clicking the .acsm file in Windows Explorer.
  3. Clicking the .pdf file in Windows Explorer.

Here's what happens with each of those:

1. Opening ADE first and clicking it from the library
    1. Normal reading with bookmarking feature.
  2. Clicking the .acsm file
    1. Downloads another copy of the book to the My Digital Editions folder on your hard drive.
    2. Creates another occurrence in the ADE library.
    3. Normal reading with bookmark feature.
  3. Clicking the .pdf file
    1. If there's a digital copyright authorization on the book, Adobe will ask permission to open the book in ADE.
    2. If you say yes, the book opens with normal reading, but bookmarks disabled.
    3. When you try to leave the book, either to close it or view your ADE library, you trigger ADE's copying fetish:
    4. If you click Copy to Library, you'll get duplicates, both in the library AND on your hard drive in the Digital Editions folder.
    5. If you click Cancel, the program will proceed with your previous request to view the library or close the program.

I hope this helps save someone a few maddening hours. Unfortunately, I don't know what to say to the poor soul whose entire ADE library (3000+ books) somehow duplicates repeatedly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe Digital Editions is maddening! The multiple books issue has not been corrected even with the latest release V4.

My take is this: 

Although you may have deleted yu read books from DE, the ascm file is still present in the ICloud Syjnc folder of your Apple device or in your PSCs My Documents\My Digital Editions Cloud Sync  folder. If you have select have selected auto download setting in your DE settings, you won't be able to get rid of those duplicates in your library. Even if you delete DE form your device, if you select Auto Download in your settings, your old copies will suddenly reappear..

The solution:

Delete the ICloud Sync folder on your Apple device and the Cloud Sync folder in the My Documents of your Windows PC. Then go into your DE Library and you should be able to delete the multiple copies. These copies are just the phantom links to the removed files.

Adobe.......Fix this garbage software!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines