• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nook Glowlight Issue: "Error opening book. This book has been returned."

New Here ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having an issue reading library books on my Nook Glowlight 3. I bought the Nook last year and have had ADE 4.5.10 the whole time. I've read tons of library books and haven't had any issues. All of a sudden I am unable to open the epub files on my nook because they are saying they're returned. I can open the files in ADE on my computer and in the Libby Library app so I know they haven't been returned accidentally. The only information I can find on this error is from 2015 so I'm hesitant to download an earlier version of ADE since the 4.5 version has been working for over a year without any problems. The issue is occuring for ebooks I've had on hold and ebooks I've borrowed immediately (I've tested a few). Anyone have some newer information on how to deal with this error? Or contact information for Adobe DE? I tried calling the regular Adobe Customer Service number and they had no idea what DE even is. -_- 

TOPICS
Nook

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue after having many books loaded successfully in the past, as recent as a few months ago.  Has anyone figured out what the problem is yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to get the solution to this issue from my local library and it worked for me:

These errors typically occur if there's a problem with your NOOK's authorization. You should be able to fix the issue by resetting the Adobe credentials on your NOOK using a computer.

Note:
These steps don't work for the NOOK GlowLight Plus, which is authorized differently than other NOOKs.

Note: We recommend always using the latest version of Adobe Digital Editions (ADE).

1. Open Adobe Digital Editions (ADE).
  2. Make sure your computer is authorized with an Adobe ID or an OverDrive account.
    In ADE, go to Help > Authorization Information.

Note: If this option is grayed out, please authorize your computer before continuing.

The authorization window will open and show you what credentials you're currently using for your computer.

3. Close ADE and wait a few moments.
  4. Reset the ADE folder on your NOOK.
    • Connect your NOOK to your computer.
    • Go to [My] Computer and open the drive associated with your device (likely named Device (X:), where X is the drive letter).
    • Locate the .adobe-digital-editions folder and delete it.
  5. Open ADE, then try transferring the ebook again. You may need to disconnect and reconnect your NOOK for it to appear in ADE.
  6. After the transfer, disconnect your NOOK. You should now be able to read the ebook on your device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked! Thank you for posting this solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It won't let me delete the folder!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't delete this folder it says it is write protected although the read only and hidden boxes are greyed out.

Very distressing can't open books after being able to do so for a long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2021 Oct 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I can't delete the folder. I deleted a file in the folder and now that's good and gone.

I have the Glowlight Plus. The link for the Glowlight Plus authorization in the solution message above does not help me fix my problem with getting "Error opening book. The book has been returned.".

Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2021 Oct 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try my library tomorrow and share anything I learn for the Glowlight Plus owners. BTW I am currently on Adobe website on a chat with a support tech and am told ADE is an unsupported product becuase it is free; I should use community.adobe.com to get help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2021 Oct 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the above instructions and when I connect my nook glowlight 3 again to the computer the folder entitled .adobe-digital-editions was back.

I entered my information into the nook for adobe (user & password) as requested.

I copied the book to the nook from the My Digital Editions folder, after going to "show file in explorer" in ADE 4.5.  That is how I have been doing this for years.

Now I am getting the error message on the nook: "Error opening book. Loan token update failed. Please turn on Wi-Fi and connect to a network to continue"

I am connected to Wi-Fi according the nook settings.

Any additional help / information? 

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2021 Oct 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem you are.  This just started today.  I got the message that the book had been returned when I tried to open a newly borrowed book.  I followed the directions the person above had posted, and now I am getting the message that you are getting: "Error opening book.  Loan token update failed.  Please turn on Wi-Fi and connect to a network to continue."  

Like you, my Wi-Fi is on.  Now what??  Could this have something to do with the recent update on the Nooks?  They added the new feature where it tells you how much longer (in time) it will take to finish the chapter, and also to finish the entire book, based on how fast you read.  I also have the Glowlight 3.  This is the first book I have borrowed since the recent update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep! I get same error about Loan token and connecting to WiFi.  I AM connected to WiFi.   I'm gonna try to power off the Nook and turn on again to see if it solves issue.  I'm probably being much to optimistic!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, powering down the Nook did not help.  However with further research, I stumbled on another string with people having same issue.  One person said to download an old book from Overdrive (that you read before this problem occurred) and load to your Nook.  That takes care of the loan token error and message saying to connect to WiFi.  I just tried this....fortunately I still had an old book that had not yet expired.  Dowloaded it again and copied to my Nook.  I made sure that book opened on my Nook....it did.  Then I tried to open one of the recently borrowed books that kept giving me the error and it OPENED TOO!!!!    Hope this works for y'all that have been having this same issue!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back to the "Error opening book. This book has been returned issue." I got so frustrated with ADE and the Nook, I'm getting myself a new eReader - a Kobe. Apparently I can connect to Overdrive directly from the Kobe.

The whole process to download and transfer the ePub file to my PC, fulfill it, show the file in Explorer (sometimes that's greyed out) is too complex and frustrating. I am having zero success re-installing ADE 4.5.11 and older versions on my laptop. re-authorizing didn't work. I continue to get the "Error opening book..." message on the Nook. I loved my Nook for many years, but I'm saying goodbye.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My wife and I each have a Nook Glowlight Plus (Model BNRV510, which has the 6" screen not the 7.8" screen).  I will refer to this model here as the "GLP6".  For the past 4-5 years, we have each been using our GLP6s to get library ebooks from Overdrive, without any problem.  But about 2 weeks ago, Barnes & Noble pushed out a new firmware update (v53.0.113), and as soon as that new firmware installed itself in our GLP6s, they both stopped working correctly with OverDrive ebooks.  In particular, when we check out an ebook, download it to Adobe Digital Editions, copy it to the GLP6, and then try to open it, the ebook won't open and the GLP6 displays the error message "Error opening book.  This book has been returned".  Last week we contacted Nook Support at Barnes & Noble about this. Today, B&N sent us an email in which B&N confirms that the latest firmware update has a bug.  More specifically, the email from Nook Support included the following statement: "Based on your recent inquiry, we are aware of an issue where your nook may not be able to properly transfer side loaded content and anticipate this will be addressed in a future software update".  B&N did not say whether they are scrambling to prepare and issue that "future" update as soon as possible, or whether they are taking a ho-hum approach and might not issue that update for several months.  Also, B&N did not offer us any temporary fix or work-around that we could use in the meantime.  As to people who have posted here over the past few days, we wanted to share the fact that B&N has confirmed the existence of a bug in the v53.0.113 firmware for the GLP6 (which means that the source of this particular problem is B&N and not Adobe Digital Editions).  B&N is probably paying no attention to this forum thread at Adobe.  Therefore, if you are having this same problem, we strongly recommend that you make B&N's Nook Support group aware of it.  B&N closed down its own Nook Forum back in 2017, but a phone number and email address appear at the bottom of the Nook Support page at the B&N website.  The more Nook owners who contact B&N about this particular problem, the more attention B&N will give it, and the sooner B&N will get it fixed so everyone can get back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspected it had to have been the update, which happened while I was reading my most recent borrowed Overdrive book.  After spending hours last night trying everything I could think of,  including uninstalling and reinstalling ADE, I still could not open a new book, now getting the Loan Token error (First error was book had been returned).  I did try to download a book I had recently read (and returned to the libray) this morning, based on what worked for a previous post but did not think it would open because I had returned it....but lo and behold, it opened, and so did the newly borrowed book that would not open!  So....could B&N have made a fix that fast?  If not, I don't know how to explain all this.  

Thanks so much for your effort in contacting B&N.  I will give a call and report my issue, as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone. I don't have a returned book to try this out on. I have tried the email on Nook support page however unless you have a question that is on a topic on the drop down list it can't be done. They just say they no longer offer support for nook ereader. So I posted a query on their facebook page. Unfortunately I don't live in the USA so unable to call. Appreciate the effort of those who have called. This is not the first time that an update has caused problems and if I remember correctly it took some time for them to rectify the situation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too tried the email option and got this:No Nook Support By Email.JPG  And then after searching further, the site states  the hours are 9 am - 9 pm eastern time, so I will try calling soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In regard to contacting B&N - We initially made contact with B&N by telephone, in particular by calling 800-843-2665, asking for "Nook Support", and then "Nook Device".  The person who answered was not sufficiently familiar with the internal workings of our Nooks to address the problem we were having so, after a bit of discussion, she said she would "escalate" our issue to the "Nook Support Team".  She then did so internally, and from that point on all communication was by email.  In particular, within 24 hours someone from the Nook Support Team sent us an email.  The content of that email was of no help, but we replied to that email and included a detailed explanation of the problem we were having, and in due course we got the email reply discussed in my last post here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have two 6" glowlight plus nooks that suddenly started doing the "Loan token" error.  I spent an unsatisfactory half hour doing the tech support "chat" on the B&N webite and finally got a response of "Its a currently a know issue with the NOOK GlowLight Plus that our Digital team are currently working on." answer from them.  

The person told me to "check back in 2-3 days".  I had to ask to get the case number so I wouldn't have to go through the whole thing again.  I remember something similar happening 4 or 5 years ago or so.  Had to wait for them to release an update to fix the problem, but it took a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was actually to contact B & N and was told to use ADE 3.0. So, I uninstalled 4.5, installed 3.0,  I then downloaded the book again from the library, but when I copy it to ADE3.0 I get another error message to check activation. In the ADE3.0 help menu, it tells me my computer is authorized. There is no choice to deauthorize / reauthorize at all in that help menu.

Supposedly I should be able to do so per this link:https://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/migrating-from-1-7-to-4-0-3---adobe-digital-editions.htm...

So I am still unable to do anything. Any help / advise?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although ADE 3 had no menu option for DEauthorize, if you pressed Ctrl+Shift+D it would open a dialog box that allowed you to deauthorize.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. I have done so, all good with ADE, but no luck opening the book still. Error message got on NOOK (again) is that it needs to be connected to wifi (which it is).  I have never needed a wifi connection to open a book before.  I have been able to open /  read library books in the doctors office, hospitals, and everywhere else until now. Response from Barnes & Noble about that: "This issue has already been raised to the appropriate department. Our support teams have identified the issue and plan to have this addressed in an upcoming software update."  However, once again, no ETA given on WHEN the upcoming software update will be released to fix the issue , or how they will communicate to everyone that has been completed (sigh). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problems here, and no earlier checked out books to try that fix. Sad that BN is not being more proactive. Planned obsolescence and/or forcing customers to buy books (which of course work fine). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BN just release a software update that fixed the "Loan Token" error. My NOOK GlowLight 3 is working again for library books. Update your NOOKS and please post if this fixes your problems - for future reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

B&N has also now posted a firmware update for the Glowlight Plus 6" (GLP6), which makes it possible to again open library ebooks borrowed from OverDrive, thereby eliminating the error message that said "Error opening book.  This book has been returned".  Based on a quick test, it seems to be working OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines