Highlighted

NOOK Simple Touch says "Error Dialog: user not activated" whenever I try to open e-books?

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had my Nook Simple Touch for about a year now, and I have been using Adobe Digital Editions without a problem. Now, all of the sudden, Barnes and Noble updated my software and I can't read any of my ADE books!! It just says "Error Dialog: User not activated" every time I click on them. I have looked at many other websites and I have tried plugging my nook in to my computer and reauthorizing it, reauthorizing my computer, deleting the digital editions file and .adobe-digital-editions file, redownloading my books, turning my nook off and on, crying, and screaming. The weird thing is, in all the instructions, it says a pop-up box will come up when I delete the files, but it never does. Is that normal? I always have to do it manually by clicking on the gear. I even made sure I "unhid" all the hidden files. I HAVE DONE EACH OF THESE AT LEAST 5 TIMES AND THEY NEVER WORK!!! HELP ME, PLEASE.

Also, a lot of the websites say to make sure your Barnes and Noble ADE I.D. is the same as the one on your ADE computer I.D.. Is the B&N ADE I.D. different from just the Barnes and Noble ID? Becasue I have been using my sisters email for my computer ADE and my email for the B&N I.D.. Are they supposed to be the same? If so, how come I was able to use it without a problem before?? I tried reauthorizing ADE with my email, because I also have an ADE account with my email, but then it wouldn't let me redownload my books onto the new account. Does this mean I have to change the ADE computer I.D. and wait until my books are available again to read them? Is that the way to fix it? UGH!

Help is much appreciated.

P.S. I have ADE version 2.0

To confirm others' findings/solution:

• Uninstall both of the following directories from Nook Simple Touch using Windows Explorer:
    • adobe-digital-editions
    • Digital Editions
  • Unmount/disconnect the Nook from the PC
  • Quit and Restart ADE
  • Reconnect the Nook to the PC
  • From within ADE, click the Gear/Down Arrow next to the Nook.
  • Select Authorize Device
  • Copy Library Books using Drag & Drop or the right click context menu --> Transfer to Device

This solved the "Error Dialog: User not activated" issue on my Nook Simple Touch, running OS v1.2, ADE 2.0+, and Windows 7 Pro x64.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

NOOK Simple Touch says "Error Dialog: user not activated" whenever I try to open e-books?

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had my Nook Simple Touch for about a year now, and I have been using Adobe Digital Editions without a problem. Now, all of the sudden, Barnes and Noble updated my software and I can't read any of my ADE books!! It just says "Error Dialog: User not activated" every time I click on them. I have looked at many other websites and I have tried plugging my nook in to my computer and reauthorizing it, reauthorizing my computer, deleting the digital editions file and .adobe-digital-editions file, redownloading my books, turning my nook off and on, crying, and screaming. The weird thing is, in all the instructions, it says a pop-up box will come up when I delete the files, but it never does. Is that normal? I always have to do it manually by clicking on the gear. I even made sure I "unhid" all the hidden files. I HAVE DONE EACH OF THESE AT LEAST 5 TIMES AND THEY NEVER WORK!!! HELP ME, PLEASE.

Also, a lot of the websites say to make sure your Barnes and Noble ADE I.D. is the same as the one on your ADE computer I.D.. Is the B&N ADE I.D. different from just the Barnes and Noble ID? Becasue I have been using my sisters email for my computer ADE and my email for the B&N I.D.. Are they supposed to be the same? If so, how come I was able to use it without a problem before?? I tried reauthorizing ADE with my email, because I also have an ADE account with my email, but then it wouldn't let me redownload my books onto the new account. Does this mean I have to change the ADE computer I.D. and wait until my books are available again to read them? Is that the way to fix it? UGH!

Help is much appreciated.

P.S. I have ADE version 2.0

• Uninstall both of the following directories from Nook Simple Touch using Windows Explorer:
    • adobe-digital-editions
    • Digital Editions
  • Quit and Restart ADE
  • Copy Library Books using Drag & Drop or the right click context menu --> Transfer to Device

This solved the "Error Dialog: User not activated" issue on my Nook Simple Touch, running OS v1.2, ADE 2.0+, and Windows 7 Pro x64.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 29, 2012 0
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having problems with my daughter's Nook since the 1.2 update.  After trying several things, and in the process authorizing the device multiple times, I have now run out of activations!  Now my daughter cannot read the books she is halfway through.  We are both extremely frustrated with this process.  How can I get my library EPUBs working again??

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 29, 2012 1
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh! This is happening to me too! I just did a reset on my nook and that still didn't help! Although it did finally get the files to delete.  Like you I wasn't able to delete the ebook files either no matter how many times I tried before the reset.

Now that I've done the factory reset the adobe digital edition doesn't even recognize that my nook is plugged in and I there are no pop-up boxes for activation.

I don't know what else to try. I guess I'm going to go to bed and hope they fix this soon!  It's bad enough that I had to plug in my nook to my computer to borrow books from my library.  Now this isn't even working.  My phone is so much easier, but not as nice of a reader.  Oh well, guess I'm reading on the little screen tonight....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 29, 2012 0
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also happened to me this AM! I tried to get online help from B&N.  The tech just told me to reauthorize as you've done.  I did it several times and it didn't help!  I even tried creating a new ADE account.  Sure, the new ADE account did prompt my to authorize my Nook.  So I thought I was done.  But when I checked my Nook for the library book, it still says "User not activated".  Something must be terribly wront with the Nook software update!!!  HELP!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 30, 2012 0
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got it to work!  Went to the link below.  Apparently, my problem was that my computer is a Mac.  So the answer to my problem was provided by "lfeuln" : "FYI for those on Macs - you must delete ".adobe-digital-editions" IN ADDITION to the Digital Editions folder, however this file is hidden!!! I went to a PC to delete. If you don't have one, you'll need to use the terminal to view hidden files."

So HAPPY!!!

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Simple-Touch-General/Error-Dialog-User-Not-Activated/td-...?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 30, 2012 2
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with using a Mac. You have to delete both the "Digital Editions" and the ".adobe-digital-editions" folders. Directions to Show Hidden Files on your Mac from Terminal are here (just copy-paste the commands):

http://osxdaily.com/2009/02/25/show-hidden-files-in-os-x/

Once I did that I followed the rest of the instructions from here (even though I don't have the color one, it still worked): http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-Support/Error-dialog-user-not-activated/td-p/12903...

Thanks everyone!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2012 1
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that this happened to you about 2-3 years ago but it just happened to me today and I couldn't make it work until I read your post and deleted those files from my nook after installing ADE 4 or something today!  Thank you!!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 28, 2015 0
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hidden Files!!!

Thank you!!  This is absolutely correct.  I deleted the "Digital Editions" file several times, but couldn't find the ".adobe-digital-editions" file to delete.  Until showing hidden files.  There it was.  I deleted both files, plugged everything back in, reauthorized the device and everything worked as planned.

Great answer to the question!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 22, 2016 0
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU  from a MAC user that was stymied and just wanted to read a nice book by the fire while the world burns...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here: Got the "not authorized" error. I ended up trying all of the above solutions, and finally got it to work by deleting and installing the newer version of ADE:

After deleting the files (both hidden and non-hidden folders) the Nook would no longer appear in ADE and I received no "Authorize" prompt. I tried a hard reset of the Nook Simple Touch, Re-booted my Mac, etc. etc. etc. I finally deleted Adobe Digital Editions (version 1.8), and installed the latest version (2.0). Once I installed 2.0 it finally recognized the Nook when I plugged it in to the Mac, and allowed to to authorize it. I think in my case it was an out-dated version of ADE not playing well with the Nook 1.2 update.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2012 0
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I just wish the update was optinal.

All B&N says is that it has "minor enhancements"

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 03, 2012 0
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• adobe-digital-editions
    • Digital Editions
  • Quit and Restart ADE

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2012 4
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved the problema!!    Thanks!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 21, 2016 0
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me.  Thank you for the post!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 18, 2016 0