• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

NOOK Simple Touch says "Error Dialog: user not activated" whenever I try to open e-books?

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2012 Nov 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had my Nook Simple Touch for about a year now, and I have been using Adobe Digital Editions without a problem. Now, all of the sudden, Barnes and Noble updated my software and I can't read any of my ADE books!! It just says "Error Dialog: User not activated" every time I click on them. I have looked at many other websites and I have tried plugging my nook in to my computer and reauthorizing it, reauthorizing my computer, deleting the digital editions file and .adobe-digital-editions file, redownloading my books, turning my nook off and on, crying, and screaming. The weird thing is, in all the instructions, it says a pop-up box will come up when I delete the files, but it never does. Is that normal? I always have to do it manually by clicking on the gear. I even made sure I "unhid" all the hidden files. I HAVE DONE EACH OF THESE AT LEAST 5 TIMES AND THEY NEVER WORK!!! HELP ME, PLEASE.

Also, a lot of the websites say to make sure your Barnes and Noble ADE I.D. is the same as the one on your ADE computer I.D.. Is the B&N ADE I.D. different from just the Barnes and Noble ID? Becasue I have been using my sisters email for my computer ADE and my email for the B&N I.D.. Are they supposed to be the same? If so, how come I was able to use it without a problem before?? I tried reauthorizing ADE with my email, because I also have an ADE account with my email, but then it wouldn't let me redownload my books onto the new account. Does this mean I have to change the ADE computer I.D. and wait until my books are available again to read them? Is that the way to fix it? UGH!

Help is much appreciated.

P.S. I have ADE version 2.0

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Dec 04, 2012 Dec 04, 2012

To confirm others' findings/solution:

• Uninstall both of the following directories from Nook Simple Touch using Windows Explorer:
    • adobe-digital-editions
    • Digital Editions
  • Unmount/disconnect the Nook from the PC
  • Quit and Restart ADE
  • Reconnect the Nook to the PC
  • From within ADE, click the Gear/Down Arrow next to the Nook.
  • Select Authorize Device
  • Copy Library Books using Drag & Drop or the right click context menu --> Transfer to Device

This solved the "Error Dialog: User not activated" issue on my Nook Simple

Votes

Translate

Translate
Nov 02, 2014 Nov 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the latest on this problem. I have tried pretty much everything, including tweeting Nook and Overdrive and the County library service, but don't expect to hear back until Monday.Neither organisation is here, http://www.callcentre.co.uk/top50/top-performerstop-performers-2014/ I notice...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2015 Jul 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have tried everything I have found through OverDrive, BN site, and the county library.  I also uninstalled ADE 4 and tried ADE 3 but the result was worse.  ADE 3 will recognize my device (Nook Glowlight) but will no longer recognize any books.

I've been deleting hidden files, reinstalling programs, and deactivating/reactivating accounts for 6 hours now.  Any ideas?? or help?? before I just sent it back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2015 Aug 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was in the same boat with my brand new Nook Glowlight. After reading this thread, I tried a soft reset, something I hadn't tried yet (I had also spent several hours deleting folders, deauthorizing computers, deauthorizing Nook, reauthorizing, redownloading, trying different versions of ADE on different operating systems -- Mac and PC, calling BN support, tweeting angrily at Adobe, etc.).

The soft reset (hold power button on side for 10 seconds, release, press power button again for 2 seconds) did the trick. It allowed me to open the book I had downloaded. I hope this does the trick for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2015 Sep 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried every single one of these things after hours of frustration and non of them is working.  I have a Simple Touch and MAC computer.  Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2014 Nov 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never could do it... even if I reboot my ST Nook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 04, 2014 Nov 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using ADE 4 uninstall it and re-install ADE 3. Available here: Adobe Digital Editions downloads

See this post: Nook Glowlight Error Dialog "User Not Activated"

I hope this works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2015 Feb 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I did.  When reloading an ebook select the replace option.  http://help.overdrive.com/customer/portal/articles/1481594-what-to-do-if-there-is-a-%22user-not-acti...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2015 Oct 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I may have found the answer to this.  I've been having this problem too.  When I opened "This PC" I right clicked on my nook and brought up the properties.  There was a tab about "Sharing" and so I clicked the box to share this file.  That was it.  I went on line, downloaded a book and it transferred no problem to my nook.  When I go back to properties now, it says it's not shared and it doesn't give me the option to check a box but whatever I did it allowed it to receive ebooks from my computer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines