• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Oops! This document couldn't be opened.

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2014 Jun 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very frustrated with Adobe Digital Editions at this time.  When trying to read a book from my library on my ereader (Kobo Glo) I continue to get the message "Oops! This document couldn't be opened.  This document is protected by Adobe Digital Rights Management (DRM) and is not currently authorized for use with your Adobe ID.  Please sign-in with the authorized Adobe ID and try again."

I have followed all of the instructions and I have even reinstalled the app onto my computer.  When I check the authorization it is attached to my library card.  Can someone please help me.  I have several books checked out at this time and cannot read them on my ereader.

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 11, 2016 Sep 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Elizabeth,

Please let us know the exact error message (if possible snapshot of the error message) that you are receiving in the mentioned scenario "After that one success, it is consistently not permitting me to copy any library books at all"

Also, please try to download and transfer books to KOBO from Adobe sample store:

Sample eBook Library | Adobe Digital Editions and let us know if you face issues with these books as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2016 Sep 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I worked on this for ages trying to figure it out.  4 hours today at least.   Finally I thought it might have something to do with the fact that I had Overdrive on my system first then bought the kobo.  Downloaded ADE and installed that. 

So this is what worked for me.

I went into settings on my KOBO.  Three bars top right.  Then into accounts.  then deauthorized the KOBO.     Then I went into Adobe Digital Edition and deauthorized my computer.  (under help erase authorization) .    I then reauthorized the computer but when the screen comes up to type in your name and password, over top of that you will see a click box for the type of authorization you need.   I forget exactly what it says but the box will say Adobe Digital Editions.   If you click on that you will see a heading way down the list called Overdrive.  Set that as the authorization.  Click it so the box changes from Adobe Digital to Overdrive.    The KOBO automatically authorized itself from ADE for some reason.   Downloaded a book put it on and it was fine.

It might possibly be because I have both Overdrive and Adobe D.E. on my machine and Overdrive was there first.    Just a guess but it worked for me.  At least for now.   Let me know if this works for you and if you have Overdrive installed.  Maybe it is getting mixed up over the two authorizations?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried every fix in this thread except editing the registry, because what I see on my screen does not match what's in the thread. I borrowed a book I would have had for 20 days and have been unable to read word 1. Tell me what to do... I  have no words to describe how frustrated I am after spending hours to try to access a book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is what I did to read a library book on my kobo. I uninstalled Adobe Digital Editions on my computer. then  I deleted the folder "my digital editions" in my documents folder. Next I reset my kobo to factory. I then installed ADE 4.5 on the computer. I opened the kobo set the language and skipped the setup. I didn't go to the kobo site. I had deleted it from my computer. I went to the library site and downloaded my book again. I found it in my documents under the my digital editions again and copied it to adobe digital editions. I plugged in my kobo and copied the book to it from ADE. When I unplugged it I could read the book. I haven't tried a second book yet. I think Kobo doesn't want you to read free books from the library. The only problem is that you can't update your kobo from their site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2016 Mar 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU.  And thank you to everyone else who identified the issue of needing to use Adobe Digital Editions 3.0. I was using the newest edition (4.5). It was not working no matter what I tried and I was getting incredibly frustrated.

As a further note (in case this is helpful to anyone): once I had downloaded Adobe Digital Editions 3.0 and successfully opened a library book on my Kobo Glo HD, I couldn't change the font size. I was fiddling around and noticed that my dictionaries hadn't been downloaded post factory reset (an earlier attempt to fix the digital editions problem). So I pressed the sync button and a dialogue box opened saying that an update had to be completed to finish the sync. After the update, I could change the library book font.

ETA: also thank you to helend42611668, for the advice about deauthorizing on version 4.0 before switching to 3.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 20, 2016 Oct 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done all of these sets, plus every other method of troubleshooting, and I still cannot get books to open on my Kobo glo.  Still getting the "Opps" message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2016 Dec 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is the only solution that seemed to work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2016 Dec 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have uninstalled ADE 4.5 and installed 3.0 as you suggested. The installed completed successfully but 3.0 won't run. I get an error message the ADe 3.0 encountered a problem and then it shuts down. I am running Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2014 Nov 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I was getting the same message on my Kobo touch when I tried to open library books (This document is protected by Adobe Digital Rights Management (DRM) and is not currently authorized for use with your Adobe ID.  Please sign-in with the authorized Adobe ID and try again).  After reading a few posts on this issue, I did the following:

- make sure you have Adobe 3.0

- deauthorize the computer using the instructions from their site (OverDrive | How to deauthorize Adobe Digital Edition...)

- get a book from the library book

- when prompted, open using ADE (or download- I just said open instead of download)

- when you try to open the book in ADE, it'll ask you to authorize computer

- I put in my authorization (the same as my Kobo) then transferred the book to my Kobo.

- I was then able to open my library book in my Kobo!

YAY!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that. Following your instructions carefully, I was finally able to successfully download a library book and open it on my Kobo! I have to say I spent several hours trying to resolve this, including a visit to the Kobo expert at the store I where I bought the Kobo and my local library, as well as hours at home trying to fix this stupid buggy problem. It's clear that this is primarily a problem with ADE and I'm pretty annoyed at Adobe for this mess. If you're going to dominate the market with software designed to prevent "theft" of digital books (which, btw, doesn't really benefit the people who actually write books but is great for corporate bottom lines), then it behooves you to: 1. Make sure your software is backwards compatible with the devices and other software it interfaces with, 2. See to it that very clear troubleshooting instructions are available and easily found (when you go to Adobe's troubleshooting page ADE is not even an option among the various Adobe products to select, and you *must* select one, forcing you to go to a page you know is wrong. Oh, and you can not use your browser button to go back. You're trapped!) 3. When someone has a problem with your software and asks for help on your site, don't take 5 months for an official response, especially when that response is incomplete as seen in the thread above, initiated with a question by javastop in June and answered by Sharad Vatsa in November.

Or, you can do what Adobe is doing now and make everyone hate you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!  I have been trying to do this all day and was getting more frustrated by the minute!  Following your instructions it worked!  I don't understand why we have to use an old version of ADE but whatever works I guess....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you thank you! It worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MAke sure you have Adobe Digital Edition 3.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I would just reply and say that in June 2015 this issue still exists, and the steps outlined above still seem to apply. I'll add some notes from my own experience since this DRM error was the 2nd in a line of problems I had (I'm on a Mac running Maveriks).

I had been on Digital Editions 4.0 for a while without any problems, had used it to transfer 6 or so acsm files from the library to my Kobo.  My most recent book however, caused ADE to crash when I tried to add it to the library. After re-opening ADE I found the book was listed under all items, but when trying to transfer it to the Kobo it would crash again. 

I checked and found a newer version of ADE 4.0 was available so I upgraded to it.  This actually fixed the crash so I thought my problems were over. However, after transferring the book to my Kobo, I started getting the "Oops" error message from this thread.

After uninstalling 4.0 and downgrading to 3.0, when trying to copy the book to my device, I started getting a "CE_COPY_NOT_ALLOWED" message.

I tried de-authing the Kobo and re-authing it, but that didn't help. Ultimately I followed the steps here:

Activation errors

This _finally_ fixed the problem. So it really seems like ADE 3.0 is what you have to run if you want to consistently be able to transfer media to a Kobo device. 

This isn't even an exhaustive list of everything I tried.  In between I got other error messages, did a factory reset of the Kobo and basically frigged around with it for several hours. 

So yeah - nothing secures copyrighted content better than ensuring NO ONE can use it easily.  Maybe one day publishers and authors will realize the "cure" of DRM is worse than the "disease" of so-called-piracy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2015 Jul 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to say thank you.  Your advice worked -- after I'd spent hours trying every other configuration and approach.  Almost gave up because I kept getting the "oops" error, but when I restarted the e-reader for the umpteenth time (in desperation) it finally worked.

What horrible, horrible software, and what an utter waste of time.  Thanks for helping put me on the right track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2015 Aug 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, had to do exactly what georgeh30549 said. Had to downgrade versions, then delete registry then reactivated. Thanks for this, definitely frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2015 Sep 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, after hours spent to find a solution, I almost gave up. I am so glad that I came across your post!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2015 Aug 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. The only thing that worked for me was going back to ADE 3 - it simply does not work in ADE 4 and I tried everything I could think of.

The version of ADE 4 I used was downloaded from the Adobe website on Aug 15, 2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2015 Sep 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is a very frustrating situation and very time consuming.

We have two Kobo Glo an older version bought a couple of years ago and a brand new one.  I had the hardest time to be able to download and open digital books from Toronto Library. 

Long story make short, after trying numerous suggestions and failing.

This is what worked for me:

Using Adobe digital reader 4th edition I  un-authorized my computer. (4th is the only edition where the option of authorizing is available)

After un-authorizing my computer in digital 4 edition. I uninstalled this version and downloaded an older version (digital 2 edition) authorized my computer and voila finally we are able to use both Kobo Glo.

I’m curious if it worked for anyone? Please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2015 Oct 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exact same problem and tried everything - uninstalled and re-installed both Adobe Digital Editions and Kobo desktop, signed in and out on my kobo, factory re-set my kobo, and downgraded to ADE 3.0. When I did this last step it wouldn't even let me download books to ADE, let alone onto my Kobo, so I re-installed the 4.0 version. I kept trying different things for hours and finally this is what ended up working: I unauthorized my computer on ADE 4.0, then uninstalled it and installed the 3.0 version. I authorized my computer on this version and it worked. It didn't work the first time I tried 3.0 because I hadn't first unauthorized it in 4.0. It's ridiculous that this many people are having the same problem with the program and nothing seems to have been done to fix it. So so frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info.  I had given up but am trying again.  Now I have a different issue and cannot deauthorize my computer.  Round and round we go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually this fix works in 4.5 as well.  Just to clarify, here is what I did....

If you’re having trouble getting library books on a kobo (quite probably a new one because changing things typically causes problems), try deleting all authorizations - (on both your computer and on your ereader, but keep the ereader connected via the USB.) 

Next, go to your public library website and get a NEW book - (something about trying to open a book that you already took out somewhere, causes a glitch - for example if you previously opened a book on a tablet or phone, then that’s it - it's extremely unlikely that you will be able to open it elsewhere, so make sure it is a newly borrowed book. If you are out of new borrows, because the limit is usually 10 books per library user, then use adobe to return a book, close and reopen adobe so that the return definitely happens.).  Download the new book to your saving spot,  and click it to make it open in adobe digital editions:  Adobe will then PROMPT YOU for the authorization. Use the drag down menu to find your library’s license type: for me it is Overdrive. Then enter your (Overdrive) email address and password. This should cause the book to open AND it also should cause your connected ereader to become authorized at the same time.  Click the back button at the top to get the book to close, then click your ereader, and then it’s gear sign to look to see if your ereader got automatically authorized (as it did for me). Even if it is not authorized, try dragging the new book onto it.  This should work immediately , or perhaps it will ask for the authorization again.  You can then click on the ereader's name on the left (not on all items) and see if you can open the book as it sits in the ereader area.  If it opens there, you should be good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue I was having is that Adobe Digital Editions was not prompting me for authorization and when I went in to do it manually I authorized under my Adobe ID and not with an Overdrive account, as this is what all Kobo instructions that I found said to do. Maybe creating and Overdrive account and authorizing with that would have been the key, but since 3.0 is working for me I don't think I'm going to mess with it haha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2016 Mar 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe one needs to close ADE 4.5 after deleting all authorizations and re-open it?  As a kind of reset.  Also make sure absolutely NO authorizations are showing up.  Not sure why the fix finally worked for me, but it did, with ADE 4.5 prompting me for authorization (and included a MUCH longer list of licensees on the drop-down menu --- had to really hunt for the Overdrive one).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2016 Mar 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting very frustrated, too.  I downloaded ADE 4.5 on Sunday, and have now spent close to 3 hours installing 3.0, 4.0, factory reset, trying to get ANY version of ADE to let me even check if my Kobo Aura is authorized using the little gear button.  This issue has been happening since 2014.  Why has it not been fixed yet????

Where do I find the Authorization button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines