I received this error note when trying to open an e-book for school. It is an Adobe e-book, so I cannot open it with any other device/software. I also cannot open any of the non-school e-books that I have on Adobe Digital Editions (i.e. ones with no expiry date). I have rebooted my computer, I have uninstalled/reinstalled the program, and nothing works. My exam for this course is in a few weeks, and I need access to the e-book to study. I have contacted fellow students who have the e-book, and they are able to open it fine, so this is definitely an Adobe problem, not a publisher issue.
Please help ASAP.
EDIT: When investigating further, I clicked on item info for the e-book and it says "Unknown Permission Error".
Same problem here. Digital Editions working just fine yesterday. Today get the error below. And I too have an exam tomorrow. Have tried uninstalling and re-installing same issue. Adobe - please respond as soon as possible please.
Same here - all working nicely yesterday, then getting those error messages this morning ("Unable to open..." and the associated "Unknown Permission Error" in the item properties).
Troubleshooting so far:
If you have access to a Windows 10 PC, try Open With -> select Microsoft Edge?
Edge doesn't work. It's a protected Adobe DRM book. Adobe Digital edition is authorised - I have checked that.
I also have an odd error message. I ended up deleting and reinstalling the app, which required me to re-activate the app; but this is where it seems to have the issue.
Under menu - FILE -> Item info you get further details as below.
But judging by other posts popping up on the Forum Adobe is having a bad day. We can't all have suffered corrupted files all at the same time.
I suspect the error is at the Adobe end with authenticating permissions...
I found a solution on another thread that worked for me. Uninstall Adobe Digital Editions 4.5.7 and install version 3.0 instead (The download is available by clicking the link lower down on the download page). I was able to open my book in version 3.0, but the text was messed up. I then installed 4.5.7 on top of 3.0 and the book opened fine.
I got this back from the TSO book store in the UK: "
I think Adobe Digital Editions are not working at the moment and they are having some issues, but you can use our PDF’s on alternative software which is BlueFire Reader you can find it here http://www.bluefirereader.com/bluefire-reader.html
A solution that didn't work yesterday with these ADE issues, but seems to be working today, is uninstalling ADE version 184.108.40.206275 (newest as of yesterday 03.19.2018)), and reinstalling the new edition as of today (03.20.2018), ADE version 220.127.116.11628 . Hope this helps, worked for me!