Highlighted

Read Out Loud from the digital edition

New Here ,
May 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to figure out how to get the digital edition to read outloud to me...I have an e-book and I want it to READ it to me. Please help!
TOPICS
DRM

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Read Out Loud from the digital edition

New Here ,
May 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to figure out how to get the digital edition to read outloud to me...I have an e-book and I want it to READ it to me. Please help!
TOPICS
DRM

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 26, 2008 1
Enthusiast ,
May 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read aloud is not a feature of Digital Editions 1.5. That was a feature of Acrobat Reader, which used to include it's own ability to read 'digital editions', which is not hte same as the ebook reader you're using now _named_ 'Digital Editions'.

Yes, it's confusing :(

To read ebooks with read aloud you'll need to use Adobe Acrobat Reader (I believe version 7 or 8).

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2_allversions.html

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
Senior Support Engineer, Flash/Flash Player
Adobe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 27, 2008 0
New Here ,
May 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gwilson,
You can use other text-to-speech software. I use NaturalVoice. You can download a trail version and try it for free before you decide to buy. Most TtS software allows you to do this.

Bently,

Digital Editions forces itself onto my computer so I cannot use Reader. How the heck can anyone follow your advice and open an eBook file in Reader? I would love to know the answer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2008 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi

interesting.

how do I couple both programs? I mean I have a book in ADE and then I open the TtS software or how does it works?
thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 14, 2015 1
Enthusiast ,
Jun 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To switch back to Adobe Reader you have to uninstall Digital Editions (add/remove control panel in Windows) and Acrobat 8 and/or Reader 8 if you have them...

Then install Reader 7.09 from:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2_allversions.html

Unfortunate, we know. But Adobe Digital Editions 1.5 is delivered with Flash Player, and the read aloud tools don't work with Flash Player at this time.

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
Senior Support Engineer, Flash/Flash Player/Digital Editions
Adobe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 13, 2008 0
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bentley,

I have bought a e-book recently. It costs me around $45. I have tried both version 6 and 8 of adobe reader. However, they could not open the pdf e-book. This e-book requires only digital edition reader.

The main issues are: the digital edition do not come with READ out Loud; and the security of the pdf e-book is so high that it can not be open by any other software.

I have Kurzwell 3000. Even it can not open the pdf file.

Bentley, please solve this issue ASAP. If this continues, I will never buy ebook.

Mohammad

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2008 1
Enthusiast ,
Jun 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mohammad,

We cannot solve this issue for you at this time. If you require read aloud, then you will have to work with the book publisher to find some way to make it work in Acrobat Reader 6 or 7 (reader 8 does not support ebooks). We are aware that this is a feature request, but we simply cannot add read aloud capability at this time.

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
Senior Support Engineer, Flash/Flash Player/Digital Editions
Adobe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2008 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, but is it something that you're working toward?   just curious.  Adobe has made made my academic life so much easier, and this would make it even easier.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2016 2
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution: Use Microsoft Edge browser to go to the website you bought the book or the link you have to read it online. Then use the build in "read aloud" funciton of Microsoft Edge. If it doesnt work just highlight the text and let the reader read it for you. (click the 3 dots on the right and Read aloud)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Thalia,

How did you make that work. In my screen MS Edge only reads titles and page numbers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 13, 2020 0