• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Request for linux support

Oct 06, 2019 Oct 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm a former customer of adobe products and I'm creating this post to request for linux support on digital editions.

I bought an ebook some time ago and I wish to read it on my linux distribution (fedora).

I doubt this one post will change anyone's mind but I've given up trying anything else. I don't wish at the moment to buy a windows license, nor buy a mac (I have a Windows machine at a separate location in a different city but I rarely visit it. I already registered my ebook on that machine, not with my ID). As such, I don't have the means to read the book that I payed money for.

Please, if it is in any way possible, can someone please create a linux version of this at some point? I'm willing to pay money for it. Please!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

+++EDITED REPLY

Adobe Acrobat Reader mobile app is the linux version of Adobe Reader DC. 

Although somewhat lamited, the Acrobat Reader mobile app also acts as Adobe Acrobat Pro DC when you have a paid subscription of Acrobat Pro DC. This is a very convenient feature that is not present in the current Adobe Reader DC full desktop version.

So, when you sign-in with the AdobeID in the mobile app  it unlocks some of the most useful Acrobat's Premium editing features.

That includes the ab

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat Reader mobile app is the linux version of Adobe Acrobat DC
https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/mobile/acrobat-reader.html

If you are a linux user who is looking into enjoying Adobe Reader DC in a linux desktop environment here is how you can do it:

EASY WAY: Adobe Acrobat DC mobile app runs in ARMs architechture (mobile devices) but did you know that you can also download AndroidOS for PC and install it virtually in many other different types of hardware and architechture.

You can get  ISO downloads for 32bit and 64bitsget , flash it on a USB or DVD and run the installation on any old or new computer; upon successful install  and is like having Android on steroids, so would be running your Adobe Reader App in it.

I've been able to run and test Android Marshmallow, Lollipop, Oreo, and Jellybean versions in a Toshiba Satellite laptop, for example. You can acquire open source ISO versions of AndroidOS in android-x86.org

Due to hardware driver detection that is primarily aimed for embedded devices, this approach limits the chance of getting your WiFi adapter detected during the installation but you can always use your Ethernet port to get Internet access. You may get even luckier with the WiFi on the first try if you get hands on in one of those Lenovo thin clients.

You can also install Android OS in a $40 RaspberryPi using emteria.OS (or any other similar single board device available these days and download and install your Acrobat Reader App there like you would normally do in any Android phone or tablet.

So, AndroidOS in a desktop computer or a RaspberryPi device (among other single board alternatives that you can get your hands on nowadays for a lot less than $100) is a good choice to try.

THE HARD WAY: Using an Android OS emulator in linux---> I have not been able to achieve this as it involves a lot of underisred troubleshooting.If anyone out there have accomplished this in an easy to follow format please share.

AND THE OLDSCHOOL WAY:  If you have the time, You can always get involved in a DIY project and run VirtualBox in your linux box. To run an OS inside of another OS in a virtualized environment seems to be the most safe and welcomed method amongst advanced macOS, Windows and  Linux users alike. The limitation of using virtualization instances of an OS are constarined to your hardware performance, but nevertheless, not impossible.

MY FAVORITE WAY:  I have tried with most success is using CrossOver (which has a limted free version) is a paid for licensed subscription that allows CrossOver users to get licensing registration of this software for both macOS and Windows OS. This will allow to run and install  Adobe Acrobat Reader XI or even Acrobat Reader DC version (if you are lucky).

For this to work you are going to need a lot of Microsoft Technet dependencies accessible before installation and know how to also install and configure the appropriate Wine bottles for the emulator to work properly. Most importantly you are required to download an offline full installer of the Acrobat product.

There are plenty of documented tutorials where this works with the Ubuntu distro, but in my personal experience, the best linux distro that allowed me to accomplish this at work is PopOS! from System76 combined with CrossOver.

In this case I also had my MS Office (paid license) emulated with PlayOnLinux and Winetricks which worked very good in an old Dell Optiplex 360 workstation that used to run a 64bit version of Windows Vista using an Intel Pentium CPU with only 2GB of RAM... allowing me to get my job done, period!

Now I am in a different project trying to install my Windows 10 in a ten year old MacBook that used to run OSX Yosemite.

I got frustrated after I bought this laptop and discover that the previous owner did not deauthorized their Apple account (as Apple recommends before selling your device) which was also locked with an adminitrative password. So to hell with the macOS and Hello dual boot with Linux and Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+++EDITED REPLY

Adobe Acrobat Reader mobile app is the linux version of Adobe Reader DC. 

Although somewhat lamited, the Acrobat Reader mobile app also acts as Adobe Acrobat Pro DC when you have a paid subscription of Acrobat Pro DC. This is a very convenient feature that is not present in the current Adobe Reader DC full desktop version.

So, when you sign-in with the AdobeID in the mobile app  it unlocks some of the most useful Acrobat's Premium editing features.

That includes the ability to also use these tools online and additionally the ability to  integrate the use of other  supported Creative Cloud apps.

You can download and install  additional Adobe CC apps for your mobile device from their online  app stores (Google Playstore for AndroidOS and  Apple iTunes for iOS devices respectively).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That was really helpful. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Yes you're welcome this is a link that I forgot to add https://patdavid.net/2018/05/installing-adobe-digital-editions-on-linux-with-wine/ you can still apply the Crossover method which is more robust in terms finding and installing core fonts, technet dependencies and bottles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines