• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow scrolling speed for Adobe Digital Editions 4.5" (reading e-books)

Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

The problem is about when reading e-books, through your application "Adobe Digital Editions 4.5"
The scrolling speed is very low, and there do not seem to be a setting for changing this.
How do I change the scrolling speed?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, what device are you using to read? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacBook Air

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Ok one more question. 🙂 Are you reading an epub or pdf format book? Also, when I'm reading books I read one page at a time and then click to the next page? Just curious – why are you scrolling?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a bought e-book, so I guess epub.

The only time it is possible to read through a page, and then click to the next is for the setting "fit page". This becomes too small to read, so then I have to change to one of the other settings (Like "Fit width"). Then it is no longer possible to click to the next, but scrolling becomes the best option, but the speed is not great

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2019 Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the slow reply. Ok I'm still interested in whether it's a pdf or epub.  the When reading the book in Digital editions, is the scrolling bar on the right of the book and vertical, or is it along the bottom of the book and horizontal? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When reading the bought eBook in Adobe Digital Editions:" Reading" --> "PDF view": Here I am able to change settings, like "Fit Page", "Fit Width", etc. 

When reading the bought eBook in Adobe Digital Editions:" Reading" --> EPUB text size: Here there are several options, like "small", "medium", "large", etc. I am not able to do anything with these settings.

This seems to b a PDF-file, even though it is bought eBook, not a dowloaded PDF-document. When reading other ebooks, they are all quicker, and the available settings are for EPUB, not PDF. Seems therefor that the problem is with the PDF.

An interesting fact: When having the setting: "Fit Page" in the PDF-view, the speed is much faster.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Interesting. You didn't really say how you scroll though which is what I was after. On windows if I have a pdf file I scroll using a scroll bar on the right which is vertical. If it is an epub book I scroll using a horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of the screen. At least this is what I think I do! Not 100% sure to be honest! But I would be interested in your answer to this and what you see in terms of scroll bars! 😬

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many reasons for scrolling, if you use the book / document as a reference you tend to scroll and not read every consecutive page from beginning to the end.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a set of very odd questions that seem to deviate from OP's point of contention. I don't see how the position of scroll bars would affect the scrolling speed of a device. Moreover, there are numerous reasons why one would scroll. OP could have a textbook and could just want to skim through the chapter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2019 Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also experiencing extremely slow scrolling speeds on a Windows 10 desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also facing the same issue.

Specification:

- MacBook Pro (2019)

- Mojave 10.14.6

As recommended by other users have tried using the earlier version 3.0 and 2.0. The issue still persists.

Can anybody help or escalate this issue to Engineering team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Digital Editions is impossibly slow scroll... We are being ignored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are exactly correct. This is an unacceptable problem for students who have no option but to use digital editions for textbooks and they are taking open-book timed exams that require a fast way to read the e-textbook

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. Is there a status update? I just downloaded ADE 4.5 and the scrolling is still sluggish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're still experiencing this issue with Digital Edition, I suggest you take a look at my response to another user down below. I found a bit of a workaround that has saved me hours of horribly slow scrolling. I'll copy and paste the general fix here as well.

Open the document from your downloads by directly selecting the ACSM file of your publication. Then let Digital Editions "download content" from the e-book/textbook/etc., and from then on your PDF shouldn't experience any scrolling lag while reading. That being said, I believe you'll have to open the files this way every time if you want to avoid the annoying slowdown.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, slow scrolling in Adobe Digital Editions has been an issue since at least 2008: https://community.adobe.com/t5/digital-editions/digital-editions-quot-sucks-the-sweat-off-a-deadman-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, MacBook Air + Abode Digital Editions. This program really sucks and it seems like Abode doesn't really care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I have same problem and  realy looking for answer,I use windows 7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After struggling with the same issue while trying to read textbooks for university, I found this discussion in hopes of finding a solution. As far as I can tell, this is a problem that occurs only after a publication has been opened in ADE for the first time. In other words, a workaround to avoid the slowdown would be to open the document from your downloads by directly selecting the ACSM file of your publication. Then let Digital Editions "download content" from the e-book/textbook/etc., and from then on your PDF shouldn't experience any scrolling lag while reading. That being said, I believe you'll have to open the files this way every time if you want to avoid the annoying slowdown.

This has worked for me, despite the "dowloading content" taking a couple of minutes; I find this to be far less irritating than only being able to scroll a few lines every 30 seconds. I really hope @Adobe patches this issue soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done this, and it didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked for me but lost all my highlights :') 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely unacceptable. This is on a 2013 Macbook Air. I am unable to work in the document at all. Scrolling pages and jumping to pages using Cmd+Shift+P results in a spinning rainbow loading cursor for 10-20 seconds. I end up having to force quit the program and restart just to get to the page I want. This is content delivered via an .acsm file, under 500 pages.

At least give us the option to use it in something other than your trash software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and waiting for some answers from the company. My course will start tomorrow and I have no idea how can I use this software during my class.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem but i quit the app and reopened it and the speed is a lot better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines