Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When will Linux version be released?

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2007 Nov 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FAQ says:
Will a Linux® version of Digital Editions be available?
Yes, a desktop Linux is under development and a public beta is expected later this year.

I paid for a digital editions book and still can't read it on my linux laptop. Could you give some more concrete date than 'later this year'? This year won't last long, so I hope it won't just be updated to 'later next year'...

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2008 Aug 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, not all of them are available for online reading. Hacking exposed is not, hehe...

what an irony, hacking exposed under DRM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2008 Aug 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gents,

eb20 Online Reader is designed to supplement the download experience. Any ebook you buy at eBooks.com naturally has the download option. Most of our books also have the read-online option.

eb20 is generated from PDFs sent to us by publishers.

The idea is that, if you don't want to download the whole book, or can't (firewall, etc) or you're at your computer at work, or in a cyber cafe in Mali, you can always just log in to your account and access your library from any PC.

We've been overwhelmed by publishers signing on to the eb20 program and are reeling under the tsunami of files being uploaded for conversion. I think we're 60% through the conversion process and we should be up to speed by the end of the year.

We're working on an upgrade and rename for the reader which will hopefully go live in a few weeks. The new version will have some remarkable features.

Here's a free link to a sample eb20 account. The link will persist for 3 months, but if you sign up now, the book should stay in your account forever. http://dc.eb20.com?v=kHYAELYXgUGG72uQ60q30PjSgPqamttP

Hmmm... I meant to create an account with several books in the bookshelf, but seem to have created several accounts with one book in each.

As this discussion is getting way off the topic -- Adobe Digital Editions -- I'll invite you to contact me offline for any further information. I'll be glad to hear your thoughts at adobeguys@sjcole.com.

Cheers,

Stephen Cole
CEO, http://www.ebooks.com

PS: Renich, I'll see if I can get your hacking book fast-tracked... or should I??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2008 Sep 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bought a Bible I can not read.

The seller site indicated that you need Acrobat Reader 6 or 7
and since version 8 is installed on my computer I thought it was OK.

But then after I payed, it requested me install "Digital Editions" before downloading. But there were no Linux version - strange...

So, as a Linux user you are quite used to web sites requesting you to use Windows applications, but once you skip over that request it somehow works anyway...

So, I downloaded it - and it did not work. Opening the pdf in acroreader gives:

"There was an error opening this document. The security plug-in required by this command is unavailable."

Other PDF readers requires a password that I do not have...

Reading on this thread that you have had an internal Linux version working for at least a year without releasing it.

I see only two possibilities.
1) You have used GPL code in it and are afraid to be required to release all source if it is discovered.
2) You have used Microsoft intellectual property in it and are not allowed to release it.
I think #2 is much more likely as it would be possible to detect #1 in Windows/MAC versions too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2008 Sep 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the tip, Sir.
Hope EB20 will extend to all publications on ebooks.com
I have an e-book and is not on eb20 application.

I hardly can wait to use my eeePC to read the books and to get rid of the paper -save the trees, go green-
Sincerely,
Razvan Bajora

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2008 Sep 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works with WINE.
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=13053

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2008 Oct 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a shame. I purchased books on ebooks.com with the assumption that I would be able to read the Adobe version, but alas, it was not the be. The Windows version of Digital Editions appears to work perfectly emulated by Wine, but it won't authenticate my books. Anyone have a solution?
I was not able to find any mention of the eb20 option as mentioned above on ebooks.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2008 Dec 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Crossover Office version 6.2.0 (http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxlinux/) and installed Digital Editions (digitaleditions1x5.exe).

Digital Editions works perfectly! This may also work using wine although I haven't tried this yet.

Regards,
Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2009 Apr 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed crossover and digital editions; however, being new to linux cannot figure out how to get the book to download from the library. Please give step by step instructions. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2008 Dec 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second the request for better Linux support. I'm in the same position of having a book I can't display. Hopefully the publisher will give me a refund.

Regards, Max

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NoStarch Press still seems to sell "real" PDF books. Cite:

"We trust our readers *and* we believe that electronic books should have the same reader rights as printed books."

Good for them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.. and I've rewarded NoStarch with a purchase. A replacement for the other book that wouldn't display and wasted my time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2008 Dec 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe please, please continue your efforts on the linux-platform (Flash 64bit, Adobe AIR, Acrobat, Photoshop ? 😉 ) ...

and please keep your promises! :

"Adobe Digital Editions 1.0 will be unveiled at the OReilly Tools of Change Conference in San Jose on June 19.
Pricing, Availability and System Requirements

Adobe Digital Editions is available immediately as a free download for Microsoft Windows® and Macintosh® systems at www.adobe.com/go/getdigitaleditions . Adobe Digital Editions for Linux platforms and localized versions in French, German, Japanese, Korean and Chinese are expected to be available in the second half of 2007."

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200706/061907DigitalEditions.html

otherwise you might be losing lots of potential future customers ! (XPS anyone ?) even though I believe pdf is the better container format ...

It's really frustrating not being able to read the (encrypted / DRMed) books I BOUGHT ! What would Gutenberg have said ?

if you're not able to provide a working port for general consumption at least make it possible to make it working via wine or crossover Linux ! so that people can authorize via internet and read THEIR "licensed" books !

many thanks in advance

a fan and power-user of your products :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2009 Mar 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are still ignoring the Linux community... sad...

An MPhil student at Chinese Univ of HK, which also subscribed to netlibrary, which gives ebook download only via digital edition.

Hope there're other competing open standard products. Even Adobe is not as stinky as Microsoft, I think competition is truly necessarily.

The DRM is not so hard to implement, why should Adobe dominate part of our online reading experience?

Simon Tse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 30, 2010 Dec 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ttt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 17, 2011 Jan 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, it's now 2011.  This thread was started in 2007.  And STILL a Linux version does not exist.

Adobe, aren't you the least bit embarrassed by this sad state of affairs?  I know I would be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 19, 2011 Jan 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's not about how long it has been, or how much it's requested or the fake surveys adobe has been doing to get  facts out of it, it's the developers inside of adobe who do not want to do it, clearly developers have stated on this forum that not enough people will pay for linux software but they are wrong, heaps of people would switch at the click of their fingers and pay for a linux version just because the OS is free does not make everything else free, Adobe need new developers with a futuristic point of view, because the rate Google OS is becoming popular i guess they will have no choice, wouldn't they want a linux os with less problems then windows. Developers working inside Adobe do not make sense, and the surveys they say they are doing, cannot be anything of realistic data, load of crap, Adobe could make it available for linux it's just they don't want to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 20, 2012 May 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The largest science fiction publisher in the world, Tom Doherty Associates (whose labels include Tor, Forge, Orb, and Starscape books) announced on April 24th, that "by early July 2012, their entire list of e-books will be available DRM-free:

www.defectivebydesign.org

Even O'Reilly already sells DRM-free computer and technical books in a variety of formats.

I believe if Adobe is not going to release Linux version of  Digital Editions any soon,  community will find a way to live without DRM, Digital Editions and... Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is now 2022 and still no version of DigitalEditions exists on Linux. In fact the version that was installable through Wine has stopped working, so there are even less options.

The public library where I live use Overdrive, which requires DigitalEditions to be able to read books you lend there. Adobe has somehow managed to insert themselves as a gatekeeper to the common good which is payed for with taxes.

I think that comes with a responsibility to make it accessible to everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines