• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Workarounds for outdated Kobo not recognising Device Authorization from ADE 4.x for library epubs?

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I know specifically what my problem is, and it may not be solvable, but I'm hoping someone might have a simple solution.

Earlier in 2019, my Kobo Aura (circa 2013) couldn't open library books I borrowed via OverDrive even though I had authorised my computer and Kobo with my Adobe ID and I had successfully opened library epubs before. Perplexed, I tried asking Kobo customer service, which didn't help. Eventually, I connected with someone from OverDrive support who walked me through many repetitive steps and concluded that due to the age of my Kobo, it could only recognize the ADE authorization from my Adobe ID if I used ADE 3.0 to transfer the epub. I was also informed that there were no known workarounds should I ever update ADE beyond version 3.0. The problem now is that my computer updated to MacOS Catalina, and ADE 3.0 doesn't work with Catalina, so I have to use ADE 4.5 which means I can't read library ebooks any more.

Does anyone working on Digital Editions read this forum and is it possible to fix this issue so that older eReaders like my Kobo will not run into this issue? Forced digital obsolescence like this is so sad.

Alternatively, does anyone have a similar issue and have you manage to find a workaround besides accessing a different computer?

Thanks for any leads...

TOPICS
ADE authorization , DRM , Kobo editions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?