Highlighted

So what exactly does limited to "one app" mean with a Pro account and the new prices?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it seems Pro has dropped in price but it is now limited to "one App".

So what exactly does that "one App" mean?

Only one tablet version or one phone version for a certain title?

Or you can have a tablet & phone version including android & iOS for that one title?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

So what exactly does limited to "one app" mean with a Pro account and the new prices?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it seems Pro has dropped in price but it is now limited to "one App".

So what exactly does that "one App" mean?

Only one tablet version or one phone version for a certain title?

Or you can have a tablet & phone version including android & iOS for that one title?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somebody at Adobe knows the answers to these questions.

My understanding is that the Professional Platform will now consist of one app/title/publication per platform fee. Meaning that all device renditions come under this are included in the one platform fee.

The platform fee cost will be reduced, but who knows by how much? Adobe does. This uncertainty lost me a magazine client as I could not guarantee an additional cost (platform fee) to him every year. I may get them back, but only when I can quantify exactly what I am selling them.

I'm really surprised there's not more noise about this in here. It is a massive change in the business model for agencies and small studios.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heard from MEI rep. Basically the price break is limited to one title but you can produce on all platforms for all the devices. iOS/Android phones & tablets. The break is in the neighboorhood of 1,200.

So I guess the options are this..
1. Work into the quote the cost of Professional on a one by one basis and have them cover the cost for each app for a year and have them open a MEI etc. account. Bill them to manage it.
2.  If you have enough clients and accounts recievable with some room to spare buy Enterprise.

We Publish our own magazine (100% digital) and one title so I guess its cheaper than print runs. If anyone was to approach us now about doing something for them I'm playing the game via option 1. Unless someone here at Adobe tells me that won't work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe strikes again! Pro Edition used to be unlimited apps or $6k. Now it's just one app for Pro at $4,500+? That's a massive increase in overhead to small- or medium-sized publishers. What a rip-off. It's even worse than the introduction of CC, or that InDesign files aren't backwards compatible. I guess they weren't getting as many $0.30 downloads as they had hoped for.

I would love to hear Adobe's reasoning behind this move other than "we have a monopoly, we can charge whatever we want."

Speak up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be nice if they threw Site Catalyist into the deal.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand your frustration but quite frankly I'm getting tired of

everyone that disagrees with Adobe's business decisions calling them a

monopoly.

That is not even close to being true.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are we (existing Pro members) affected ? I beleive we should still be allowed to create multiple apps as this is what we paid for and sign up for.

Let's say I have 5 publications already published today using my single Pro account, what will happen ?

Alot of clarification is required.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and this is why you aren't hearing from Adobe. They are trying to work out the details for all current and future Professional users. The new prices seem to reflect what many other platforms do. And their main concern are the Enterprise users at 50k per year. We have 4-5 publications and this new platform is a game changer in my eyes... $4500+ per app times 5 = major problem....

what about grandfathering all current Professional users ??

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be fair Bob, if you want to use the best tools, then yes, Adobe has a monopoly on that market. How does that sound, a compliment wrapped in a comment?

But quite frankly, people are getting tired of Adobe's business decisions. Feel free to make them, but when people are spending tens of thousands on Adobe software, every year, I think we have a right to complain when denial turns into obfuscation, then silence.

I'd love for Mitch Green to chime back in here. He asked me to name my reseller, so they could be educated on the platform. I'd love for him to educate all of us. The users and decision makers. The ones who do the beta testing for Adobe. The ones who pay for, not pirate Adobe software.

Sorry Bob, but I have lost business because of this uncertainty. The cat is out of the bag, everyone knows now that change is coming. Where are the details? Until then, people will speculate, ruminate and ponder what could be.

Greg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe stakeholders are still working out the details of this new plan. We should be able to provide more details in a week or so--March 12 if all goes according to plan. The resellers have already been notified, and they can discuss it, but Adobe folks like Neil, Mitch, and I cannot provide more details at this time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone at Adobe know if they are still on track to announce something on March 12?  My small media company has a pro account and if this speculation on pricing and being limited to one app (at ~$4500) is true... Then there is no way we can afford to continue with the digital publishing side of our business... Which is most of our business so I might have to look into being a farmer or something...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, on track for a March 12 announcement.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before or after March 12, send me your contact information if you'd like an Adobe representative to reach out and contact you about the new Pro pricing.

bbringhu at adobe dot com.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob!  I'll wait until after the announcement.  We currently serve many smaller clients under out Pro license and are just barely able to spread out the $6000/yr platform + $3000/yr download bundle costs among our clients.  We don't serve clients that can absorb a large yearly cost for their single app... so we'll have to pull the plug if these rumors are all true.  Which will be a difficult day for us to be sure...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I'm also thinking about is our scenario where we have a number of Single Edition apps currently under development for clients - these are 'free to download', non magazine apps. Assuming a similar thing is implemented for all DPS editions, how will I go to them and say that if they want to progress them to completion they will now have to pay 'per app/subscription'.

I think they will possiblly pull the plug on them all and very possibly not pay for our work on something which has increased significantly in price just to get it to completion...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Single Edition apps do not require anything from Adobe beyond the use of the app builder. They are treated differently by Adobe and Apple.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob - so would it be safe to assume (accepting that you don't have a crystal ball), that we can continue to develop multiple single issue apps via our existing CC plus DPS plan?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don’t need a pro or enterprise account to create SE apps. They are included with Creative Cloud, but I would personally be shocked if anything changed with regard to DPS SE.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob - we may actually keep some clients on this basis.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So basially its a way to force everyones hand to upgrade to the CC.  I'm still using CS5 for my DPS mag. We have a magazine and a Pro account. But it seems if we want to service anybody else going to need to get CC. (Which I want BTW but going to need to get somebody else to pay for it at this point). Got to figure someday DPS & CS5 will be toast.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Single Edition apps have no relation at all to multi folio apps. If you drop the pro account they will cost you $395 each making a subscription to Creative Cloud a no brainer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't anticipate single edition changing at all.  As Bob stated its part of CC.  The Pro changes could have major ramifications for small agencies such as ours because we are publishing multi-folio apps, which single edition cannot do.

I'll just twiddle my thumbs until they annouce something on Wednesday... then we'll see.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you've called it right GPB. I think Adobe are using price to set a bar for the kind of organisations they see as their future for DPS used as a multi-folio publishing platform.

For me, it's a shame as it rules out a lot of agencies and end users who do not have publications where either the revenue will cover the cost of a per publication, per account scenario - or those who may want to publish to devices other than iPad with 'free to download' content.

I wonder how those who have existing Pro apps in development under current arrangements will fare?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that everyone received it just now…

Changes to Adobe Digital Publishing Suite, Professional Edition

Effective immediately, all customers who newly purchase or renew Digital Publishing Suite (DPS), Professional Edition, will be able to publish only one app per license of DPS Professional Edition.

Under this policy change, Professional Edition customers can publish an unlimited number of issues (.folio files) to a single app and distribute those issues based on purchased fulfillment bundles.

An app created with a single license of DPS Professional Edition can be distributed to any or all of the marketplaces that DPS supports, including the Apple App Store (and Newsstand), Google Play, Amazon Appstore, and the Windows Store.

In conjunction with this policy change, Adobe is reducing the price of a Professional Edition license to $4,800 USD annually (€3,600/¥480,000) or to $400 per month (€300/¥40,000) and will include 1,000 fulfillments annually. The number of fulfillments included with a monthly subscription remain unchanged.

This policy does not apply to test or demo apps published using Professional Edition. The one-app-per-license policy applies only to an app published to a supported marketplace(s).

If you are an agency, upon your renewal or purchase of Professional Edition, you can create only one app per Professional Edition license. If you have multiple clients for whom you are creating apps, either you as the agency or your client must purchase a Professional Edition license for each app published to a supported marketplace(s).

If you are an existing Professional Edition customer and choose to renew your Professional Edition license at the end of your annual agreement, these changes, including the lower price point and 1,000 fulfillments, apply at that time. These changes do not apply to your existing DPS Professional Edition agreement and take effect only if you renew your license.

DPS Professional Edition customers can continue to create unlimited Single Edition apps, which is unchanged under the new policy. A Single Edition app is defined as an app that includes one built-in or embedded folio.

If you expect to publish three or more apps annually, we encourage you to contact your local reseller to discuss pricing for a multi-year Enterprise Edition license.

Enterprise Edition offers additional functionality and benefits not available through Professional Edition. These include app customization, integration with back-end business systems, in-app marketing tools, targeted content based on user entitlement, and the ability to publish apps privately.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahoj, Martin

One app means one title, unlimited number of issues, and any or all platforms supported by DPS...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand this :). I just wanted to share it here, even if current customers already received it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. Just received it, and as a monthly DPS professional subscriber, this is not in any way good news.

With two current apps, my annual cost will leap from from £4560 to £6000. I currently have quotes out to clients which don't include a new and additional cost of £3000 for each app. That's not going to be easy to sweep under the carpet!

Now, where did I put those Aquafadas contact details…

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" Although those customers will now be able to publish only one app per license of DPS Professional Edition, they can continue to create unlimited Single Edition apps under the new policy"

I am still confused by what exactly this means, can someone please clarify..

So i can produce one app across all platforms PLUS as many single edition apps as i want (which will only be available for ipad). I'm getting confused when they say 'only one app per lcence' and then say 'unlimited apps'. Is this correct?

It has come as quite a shock and a huge kick in the teeth when i gave just sent quotes to clients based on old prices. But i wont go on as enough has been said already.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's correct.

You can produce ONLY ONE Multi Edition App across all platforms plus UNLIMITED Single Edition Apps for iPad only.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is for new accounts only. Current subscribers can continue to publish to multiple apps but no additional apps can be added after the account renews.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like my "gut feeling" was correct. InDesign 5 is toast for DPS come September.  Looks like CC is in my future. Still going to be $50 a month by September?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intro rate is still in effect. $29.99/month for the first year.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tought with the new license agreement of one app per subscription, Adobe dropped his price...

But I just got my auto renewall and it's exactly the same as ever was...  Was this a false promise or went something wrong???

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still pay €355, thats US $ 490!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines