• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding a decal to an object with an opacity mask

Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm trying to add decals to a paper box with a window made using an opacity mask. I'm using the magic wand tool to select each side and individually add the decals for each side. This works OK except for the side with the window—when I try to apply the decal here, it gets applied to the inside of the box too. Is there a way to add the decal only to the exterior? Although I am selecting one side with the magic wand tool, once I drag the deal onto it, it seems like the whole box is selected. The only workaround I have found so far is to add the front decal to the base colour in Photoshop instead. 

Ideally, I would add the whole box design to the base colour in one piece, as I believe you can in software like Esko Studio. But the way the UVs come out, it's very fiddly trying to work out where the boundaries of each side of the box are.

Any suggestions to speed up and simplify the workflow would be much appreciated.

Thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that is the way they designed the ui yes... using the magic wand would mean selecting a different material for that single face which may not be what you want

work around = have you tried temp removing the opacity map so that the wall \ face is solid when you place your decal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a good idea, thank you! Actually I've started using Fantastic Fold and that is so much easier and produces a much better result. I hope the Beta is successful, and it gets added to Illustrator as a plugin soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DId you try UV Export ?

https://youtu.be/jFFqWHD3Q_4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestion. I tried exporting the UVs, but for all of the boxes other than the starter assets, the UVs come out quite randomly and it's very fiddly trying to work out where the boundaries of each side are; the sides are also often jumbled up. I've since discovered Fantastic Fold, which does the whole thing in reverse (from box dieline to 3D model) and is much more what I was looking for. I hope the beta is successful and it gets integrated into the Adobe ecosystem soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic Fold is still in beta but it looks like they are keeping it yes... at least for a few more years

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

At this moment I use Marvelous Designer for packaging as it allows to do folding and use Substance Materials Agree with @Ussnorway that we need two years to see Fantastic Fold in workflow with Adobe Product 

https://youtu.be/66UeelyqXNg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines