• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Dimension - Placing a decal over multiple linked surfaces

New Here ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a 3D model of a microphone, and I'm trying to apply a decal of grill detail to a bunch of separate surfaces. But the surfaces are acting a little bipolar. On one hand I can apply different materials to each area. But when I try to use a decal it treats them all as a single surface.

I started out with a small strip of grill artwork and tried adding it to each section. Then I made one big graphic to try and paste it into all of them together. Either way, it only shows the decal in one of the linked sections.

DK1.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

I tried selecting multiple grills but it behaves the same. When I apply a decal it's only visible in one.

FYI, my workflow is like this:

Use Illustrator to create vector profiles of the parts, then assemble in Photoshop. This piece is a little more complex (for me anyway) since the grills don't go all the way around. I created two objects in PS from a grouped Illustrator vector, and revolved each 90°.

The problem was in trying to apply the surface in Dimension. It can't seem to decide if it's one o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Danielk,

Could you please have a look at this video and let us know if you find it helpful? Adding Decal to 3D Objects in Adobe Dimension - YouTube

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the screenshot you only have one grill selected so Dimension only applies it to one part of the model so for example if you want 5 of the grills to be rusty then you can [shift] click the five parts {or group them} and then click on your rust material to make them all have the same texture however Dimension can only apply one decal per model (a hard limit at this stage) so in this senario i would rendor it out as a psd and do the decal in Photoshop

another option would be to make the grill i.e, only the five parts of it that you want to decal as their own Obj in Photoshop (or Blender | whatever) and import that into Dimension as a new model to add your decal to... if the decal is something like plasic stickers that light passes then I'd use this option but otherwise Photoshop will do a better job ime

p.s, it a nice youtube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried selecting multiple grills but it behaves the same. When I apply a decal it's only visible in one.

FYI, my workflow is like this:

Use Illustrator to create vector profiles of the parts, then assemble in Photoshop. This piece is a little more complex (for me anyway) since the grills don't go all the way around. I created two objects in PS from a grouped Illustrator vector, and revolved each 90°.

The problem was in trying to apply the surface in Dimension. It can't seem to decide if it's one object or a group.

I found a solution in building a new material and applying it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

danielk53774669  wrote

I found a solution in building a new material and applying it.

yes generate | merge two normal maps into one?

i found the same fix is what I need to get Fuse models working... Photoshop treats each material as a different object

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines