• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I reduce the exported 3D file size in dimension as a GLB or GLTF File?

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to export a 3D model that's approx. 220mb, but there is a size limit of 128mb in Microsoft Dynamic Guides that is my ultimate destination. Is there a way to compress, or decrease the overall size of the file when I go to export it? I can import GLB or GLTF files into the Guides software.

Thank you,

Brett

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there are few options; dropping the scale is a simple way to lower overall file size... using smaller i.e, 800X800 instead of 1024X1024 textures is another

at the end of the day it boils down to the model and how much detail you are willing to fugue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ussnorway. Not sure I'm reducing the size correctly, but will continue to experiment with it.
Just a little more back story, my original file(s) consist of about 95 .STL files. I brought them all in and it created my 3D Model correctly (It's a model of a laser machine for manufactruring).Anyway, I grouped the 95 files and tried various ways to export the entire files as both "Selected Models" and "Scenes", but the size doesn't change. When I went to reduce the overall size, I was in the group mode, but again it didn't change the size of the exported file. 

Sorry for my inexperience with this type of technology, as I come from a video background, but have been tasked at work to start using Augmented Reality for our training. I've attached a picture from a captured screenshot in Dimension. 

Thank you again Ussnorway, and anyone else who can shed some light on my situation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ok think of it like a high definition image made from a dozen raw files, great for zooming in but lots of data you prob don't need... as an image you would convert to jpg which dumps all those extra pixels

your 100 odd stl files are great for fine detail but you need to Decimate the mesh in Blender or wrap 3D... i would use Planar dissolve and enable UVs in Delimit section with Blender to make your overall model then keep the high definition copy in case you want to 'fly' the camera throught it later

Dimension can colour the parts of this model and take some stills but its not the best tool for Augmented Reality, I would use Iclone but Unreal, Blender and even Untiy [Mac users] has better basic option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines