• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing to traditonal Cartesian Coordinates

New Here ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, very new to dimension here. I notice on the grid you can access and move objects by coordinates. However, the grid isn't the traditional cartesian system, the Z axis is where the Y axis should be. Is there a way to change the layout? I haven't been able to find an answer.

John

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , How to , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

@Ares Hovhannesyan are you asking me?

the cartesian system is very old way to plot 2D space into a graph [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartesian_coordinate_system] but it assumes only 2 plots and doesn't work in 3D space

to make anything in 3D you need at least 3 plots with x normally shown as the horizontal and y as vertical then you add z for depth ... the issue is this is not actually a standard and some systems have z as the horizontal and x as depth, which really just means they are look

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the cartesian system is for 2D not 3D... there is no UI option to change the Y into X but it is easy to code if you want the hack the software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share an capture and show how you determine that?. That can help to understand problem, Curious glitch by the way.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ares Hovhannesyan are you asking me?

the cartesian system is very old way to plot 2D space into a graph [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartesian_coordinate_system] but it assumes only 2 plots and doesn't work in 3D space

to make anything in 3D you need at least 3 plots with x normally shown as the horizontal and y as vertical then you add z for depth ... the issue is this is not actually a standard and some systems have z as the horizontal and x as depth, which really just means they are looking at the object from a different angle and doesn't effect the outcome in any way

what @John5E47 is asking for is a way to change X into Z on Dimensions plot system which just means the labels themselves and nothing else

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

240px-Coord_system_CA_0.svg.pngYes, X axis is fine, the depth Z axis is where the Y axis should be. I'm an engineer and work a lot with plots and graphs. I was looking to try to recreate some in 3D and maybe animate them. Issue is all my work is in the standard system and stopping to translate Y into Z or Z into Y is maddening, it also throws off what I'm doing if I miss one. Its hard to translate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3D is a wild west of software with few standards... You can ask for a option to edit the UI in the uservoice forum which is hidden under the 'give us feedback' link, it would be easy to implement so perhaps the Dev team will add it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Ussnorway no I ask @John5E47. It courious but I reply on the same time as you:) Anyway explanation is very clear and help me also to understand the problem, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines