Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a high definition/resolution image using Dimensions

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I am using Dimensions to create a realist photograph of a branded box using a packaging template I have created in Illustrator.

This needs to be very high quality and resolution as these images are being used on the web on a retail site and where buyers have an option to zoom in, however when I render my design and open it up in Photoshop if i zoom in the image is very pix-elated and becomes blurry.

The idea if using dimensions is to cut the photography process out - ideally I am trying to recreate a pack shot image with a white back ground and just the items packaging (this being a branded box) for the packaging design I have already created in illustrator. Is this possible and I am having problems doing so?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Hi Emily, not sure exactly what you're looking for here.  Generally speaking if you want a higher resolution image you just need to render it in a higher resolution.  If you render a small image then zoom in it will become blurry/pixelated.  That's just how raster images work.

In Dimension you can change the render size in Design Mode.

• Select the Environment in the Scene Panel
  • In the properties Panel look at the top section titled Canvas
  • Change the "Size" property to whatever pixel resolution you wa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Emily, not sure exactly what you're looking for here.  Generally speaking if you want a higher resolution image you just need to render it in a higher resolution.  If you render a small image then zoom in it will become blurry/pixelated.  That's just how raster images work.

In Dimension you can change the render size in Design Mode.

• Select the Environment in the Scene Panel
  • In the properties Panel look at the top section titled Canvas
  • Change the "Size" property to whatever pixel resolution you want.

For example, if you need a 300 dpi print at 10" that would be 3000 pixels.  You'll need to figure out the best pixel size you need for your particular project and then change the canvas to match.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

emilyg45670144  wrote

This needs to be very high quality and resolution as these images are being used on the web on a retail site and where buyers have an option to zoom in

the web tends to = low rez | quality images because size is the main issue... esp on mobiles but if you can link an example web page with the type of system you want to make that would help figgure out if Dimension is the right tool for this job

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JMathews,
I am also trying to get hires images out of my Dimensions document, which is 2048 x 2000 px at 300 dpi. I managed to get the 3D artwork right but the placed (vectorized) Illustrator files (text in outlines) on the model do not look sharp or crisp at all 😞 despite having rendered in high quality (32 bit psd file). Having put all the effort in the 3D model I hope we can get better results out of this — really need hires for roll-up print production.  

Below I have attached final rendering in jpg format + screen images of my Dimensions document.

Schermafbeelding 2020-09-05 om 17.54.34.pngSchermafbeelding 2020-09-05 om 17.53.29.pngclaversal_set_03-View 3.jpg    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The resolution of the canvas is different from the model and has zero effect on the way decal images rendor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks,
thank you for your quick reply 👍
I am trying to figure out but what do you exactly mean with 'The resolution
of the canvas is different from the model and has zero effect on the way
decal images render'…
The placed Illustrator artwork (vector outlines) on the model should always
result in a sharp image, no?
Can you explain, please?
Thx,
Chris

[Personal info removed. MOD]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No vector = more work at the other end which is why we still need Jpg on the internet

If you want to share the files I'll have a look fixing it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
thank you for your help!
it would be great 🙂 if you could have a look at my files.
We get more and more of these projects so it is important to do it in the
right manner.
You can find my Dimensions file and the placed Illustrator objects via this
WeTransfer link:
https://we.tl/t-72SYLYFuTh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• yes I see the problem. Adobe can not rendor transparency and yes I mean ALL Adobe products but it is most easy to see in Dimension

Screenshot (696).pngScreenshot (699).png

p.s,

the Files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Placing ai Illustrator on a 3D Dimensions mockup does not seem to work. In
my experiment yesterday I have made 1200 dpi jpg versions of all ai files
and now I have perfect renderings. So rule number one is: *do not place ai
Illustrator files on models in Dimensions but use hires jpg instead.*
You can see the result of my rendering (at 100 %) in the screenshot below.
Best regards,
Chris
[image: Schermafbeelding 2020-09-10 om 08.15.42.png]

[Personal info removed. MOD]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes a Jpg file format auto adds white

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I wanted to use a transparant file placed on top of a colored coffee cup. Illustrator ai file import in Dimension doesn't work, it will still be jaggy. What does work great is a transparant high res PNG file. so, you dont need to use a white background and/or a jpg file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines