• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Decals on circular object strangely distorting.

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've downloaded several of the vinyl record templates from the Adobe Stock site. I started placing graphics on the objects, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting the label part of the record to look right. I'm talking about the center of the record itself which is a circle with a small circle cut out of it. Any image I try to place here is heavily distorted, almost like it's being placed on some kind of distorted glass object. I just need the image to appear flat and with just the usual scaling. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong or need to change.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

This is nothing with the model itself, it's just a limitation of Dimension with the decal projection technology at the moment.  The technology is designed to unfold complex shapes, and it's actually a little stupid about simpler shapes.  Doh.  We're definitely aware of the issue and working to make the auto-application of images to models smarter in more situations, holes being one of them.  Right now it just cannot understand what a hole is. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested this with the compact  disc templates and I get heavy warping on anything I place on the CD itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sounds like the decal may be wrapping around the center hole in stead of ignoring it... can you post a screenshot please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it seems like that is what is happening, but only sometimes. Here's a couple of screenshots.

The first image shows the full on distortions. The second image shows my image on periphery before the distortion occurs. The third image is more of the full on distortion that occurs whenever my label starts to reach the center of the model. I included a 4th image with my file on top a jar so that you can see how the image should look on a circular object. It definitely has something to do with the punched out hole in the middle. Dimension always behaves strangely when I start to get my image centered at the punched out hole area.

Is this something that I can correct within the program or do I need to open the file in some kind of modelling software. I'm very confused. This seems like something pretty basic with a basic solution.

Thanks for the help!

capture 01.JPG

capture 02.JPG

capture 03.JPG

capture 04.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/J+Goers  wrote

Is this something that I can correct within the program or do I need to open the file in some kind of modelling software.

that looks like its on the model it self ... as for how to fix it;

I'd open the image map in Photoshop and edit the layers (assumes front and back sides)

then rendor at a 1:1 scale... you may still need to punch the hole out after in Photoshop again... it just depends on the look you are going for

Screenshot (1540).png

Screenshot (1541).png

Screenshot (1542).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem as the OP - it happens with CD and Vinyl obj files - basically anything that has a hole in the middle.

Thanks for the suggestion - it works!

A good temporary fix, for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the work-around. I'm glad to find a temporary solution to this problem. I'll say this does seem like a pretty strange problem. Is it due to the construction of the model or something with the Dimension program? I wonder if it's worth trying to get in touch with Adobe. Thanks again, I'll try this work-around soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its the way the model is made and I'd assume Adobe knows because the model is on Adobe stock for free

making a decal fit around a hole would be easy to map if the model only had one side but a record has a front and back so its just a shape that breaks the normal rules... anyway you are welcome mate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is nothing with the model itself, it's just a limitation of Dimension with the decal projection technology at the moment.  The technology is designed to unfold complex shapes, and it's actually a little stupid about simpler shapes.  Doh.  We're definitely aware of the issue and working to make the auto-application of images to models smarter in more situations, holes being one of them.  Right now it just cannot understand what a hole is. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can't make a selection and just tell Dimension to ignore any holes in that area as an option?

we don't really need the decal to go inside the hole or even around it ... anyway thanks for the feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens with decals is behind the scenes they unwrap the areas of the 3D model they're applied to and lay it out in UV space.  Essentially it means it can be applied to any model even if the model doesn't have it's own UVs already.  But the tech behind it is smart, like I said.  It's doing more than it needs to in some cases.  We need to teach it these things.  It's planned!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue was brought up over a year ago... How can this not be fixed yet?

Completely ruins the software for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump. Please fix the hole asap 😞 what's the point on buying 3D layered mock-ups if I can't properly apply a circular decal on a circular plate with a hole in it?

Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This video may help others who are having difficulty with label decal distortion:

https://youtu.be/bH54Mn6Lpgs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines