• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dimension file size; I must be doing something wrong

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I am trying to do is 3d model floor plans for a new hospital of the future. I am finding my Dimension file has grown significantly to 7 GB in just a few days as I have added detail to just 2 floors (I have to lay out 7 floors). I'm using all Stock Adobe assets with some simple png image overlays. I have a Ryzen 7 3700X @3.6GHz with 64GB of Ram, NVidia Quadro P5000 with 16GB of VRam. SSD drive.

Is Dimension the wrong tool for this? I saw in one post that "Dn file size = remove the history". How do I remove the history (do I have excess baggage I don't need)? Or can I lay out each floor separately and then combine them somehow at the end?

TOPICS
Hardware , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Blender is a good starting place... invest some time in their how to vids to learn the software mate

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Dimension hasen't "clean history" function. What i can suggest you thatis to use linked materials Applying a material to multiple objects at the same time or using the Sampler tool will create a linked material. When a linked material is edited, the change will be reflected through the whole scene.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dimension/how-to/add-edit-3d-material.html#:~:text=Link%20materials%20to%20e....

You can also use Instances in Dimension. See my video. https://youtu.be/KeYNI7TOjLM

Logocaly, this can increase file size. Therefore try to create instances from your first "floor" objcct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I will try this as I do have common objects with common materials.

So if I extend to 7 floors do you think I will push Dimension too far? If 2 floors == 7Gb, i would end up with ~25Gb file, at least the way I am currently doing this. I don't mind as my computer has ample space and power and I have the funding to upgrade my video card to 48gb quadro RTX 8000 if needed. The current time it takes to open the file from my SSD drive is 5-10 minutes however, even with nothing else running on my Windows 10 PC. I do find Dimension easy to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes Dimension is the wrong tool ... you will need a Ryzen server to rendor that file when it is done mate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you kindly recommend a starting point for me to look at as far as other tools? Just a starting point for me to own and research ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Blender is a good starting place... invest some time in their how to vids to learn the software mate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines