Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Exporting Dimension 2.3 file as .obj fail?

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In our production workflow here at work, we want to be able to move .obj files from Autocad Inventor to Adobe Dimension and vice versa.  However, when I export an .obj file from Dn 2.3, it creates an unrecognizable, and unusable version of the Dn file.

This is the case regardless of whether I export a scene, or selected models. Even a very simple file. Same result.

As an example, here is a screenshot of a simple scene, comprised of 4 cubes:

Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 11.46.27 AM.png

Here is a screenshot of that scene, exported as an obj:

Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 1.41.17 PM.png

And here is the .obj, imported into the original Dn file. You can see it picks up the materials data, otherwise, it's useless:

Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 11.52.29 AM.png

Has anyone else experienced this?

Message was edited by: Sahil Chawla

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marty,

That does not sound good, let's make it right.

Could you please check this conversation and let us know if it helps?

https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/obj-export-settings-for-adobe-dimensions-felix/48390

Regards,
Sahil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil,

Thank you I checked the conversation. However, it wasn't helpful.

The conversation suggests .obj export settings for Rhino modeling software. But nothing about .obj export settings for Adobe Dimension.

Does Dimension have similar settings for .obj exporting? I would explore them, but don't see them anywhere.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

MartyLeeH  wrote

Has anyone else experienced this?

yes its a known bug in the way Dn exports files and the forums are full of examples so its not just you

fix = not yet sorry, more testing was needed

p.s, Dimension will give best results from wavefront Obj files... my tip workflow is to import Obj files into Photoshop first and then export them as wavefront Obj for use in Dimension... ime this offen repairs the ui map which tends to be the underlinning issue

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines