Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font Change Problem

Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a strange problem with Dimensions which makes it completely unusable for me. When I try to change a font, it takes so long that I forget what I was doing when it's done! Switching to Didot, for example, takes 5-6 minutes, while switching to another font called Gordita takes about 15 minutes! Yes, I wait 15 minutes for a font change. Other than that, the software works flawlessly and pretty fast as well. Even renders are a lot quicker than I thought.

I tried so many fonts (including system fonts like Arial, Times New Roman, etc.) so I'm sure that it's not about a certain font.

Do you have any idea what may cause it?

I use the latest version of Dimensions, and my OS is MacOS Catalina 10.15.4. My system is an iMac Retina 5K 27-in Late 2015 with 32GHz Quad-Core i5 CPU and 24gb of ram.

Thanks in advance for your valuable input!

TOPICS
Bug , Crash or freeze , Mac , Performance , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

UPDATE:

Mid-June update (v3.3) of Adobe Dimension solved the problem completely! Now, I can change fonts almost instantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it sounds like your Mac is doing a scan between font swaps but 24G is under powered [for Macs] so it could just be that the Dn is too big to manage

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. So, you think 24GB of memory is not enough to use Dimensions efficiently? I even use Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and After Effects at the same time, without having many issues, but if Dimensions requires significantly more resources to do the scan between font swaps, then I can consider upgrading for sure.

Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

by design Mac needs more Ram than Windows and 24G is under gunned for Dimension because you actually use Ram unlike Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and After Effects which are older software and default to harddrive storage instead... you have not given us any example to work with so in general yes, the bigger the Dn file = more and more system Ram is needed

as for the 2nd issue I would ask for your work flow i.e, this sounds like a all the time senario for you which would be because something you are doing is 'different to others' or 'causing extra load time'

• are you running anti-v software
  • using a network device to store files used in this Dn
  • not running Adobe CC before starting Dimension? or sitting behind a Proxy server = the same delay talking to Adobe servers
  • got a doz other tabs open [common Mac user workflow]?

its your money mate but I would test before paying for another system

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for your input.

Actually, I don't think this happens because the system configuration is not good enough to run Dimension efficiently. If that was the case, I would probably have other issues while using the software. Everything - except for changing fonts -works just great. I import any model to the scene and it appears right away, without any lag. Then I rotate it, move it, apply materials, resize, and all of those things happen instantly.

I use Blender, too, which is a thousand times more complex software than Dimension, and have no issues with that either.

But of course, I followed your advise and took an extra 8gb of ram from another computer and installed on mine. Nothing changed. Changing a font still takes several minutes.

You said I haven't given you any example to work with, but there is no example to be provided. I just open a new Dimension file, select the Text tool, and attempt to change the font. That's it 🙂

Finally;

- I don't use an anti-virus software

- I don't use a network device to store files

- Adobe CC runs on start-up, before I open Dimension

- I tried it when zero tab is open, and the only running software is Dimension. No change.

Thanks again for your input though my friend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

UPDATE:

Mid-June update (v3.3) of Adobe Dimension solved the problem completely! Now, I can change fonts almost instantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines