• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gift bag dimensions wrong?

Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Dimension for all of 65 seconds. I added a gift bag to start to recreate our already done company gift bag. Our actual gift bag is 20 x 30 x 9cm. Type that in to the bag properties. The gift bag image in Dimension doesn't even look remotely close to the correct proportions as the actual bag sitting on my desk. 

Color me shocked, or not at all... is this just another tool designed to fool designers? I mean, it's a packaging mockup tool, no? On what planet would it make sense to have the dimenions of a paper bag NOT be the paper dimensions of the bag? I assume, for ludicrous reasons, the floating string is somehow considered the "top" of the "bag." 

Continually, I'm blown away at the complete and total lack of either testing or even basic understanding what designers need from Adobe. I could make an amazing mockup for my clinent in minutes with this tool, instead I want to blow my brains out as usual. Or, am I missing something? 

How do I get a simple 20x30x9cm paper bag?

TOPICS
How to , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

I made the bag with the sizes you gave, and took the model into SketchUp to measure it. It did come out slightly shorter than it should, not sure why (thought there seems to be a bit of rogue geometry at the back of the bag), but the height was very close. Could it be that they include the handles in the height, and you weren't expecting that?

bag.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made the bag with the sizes you gave, and took the model into SketchUp to measure it. It did come out slightly shorter than it should, not sure why (thought there seems to be a bit of rogue geometry at the back of the bag), but the height was very close. Could it be that they include the handles in the height, and you weren't expecting that?

bag.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, kudos for going all the way. But, from your trial, clearly the handles are included in the specs for the "bag" itself. And, even more bizaare is the odd with (at least that should be 20cm). For packaging design, this just makes no sense. 

Really appreciate your test. I'm just going to stick with crappy flat 2d mockups in Illustrator. But, clear proof that these specs are way off from reality. Cheers! I'm not crazy. Hahha. Really, thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm reasonably sure that Dimension doesn't know it's a bag. If you wanted a 6 foot tall wizard, with his usual pointy hat, Dimension would give you a 6 foot model featuring a 5 foot tall wizard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, excellent. But, the irony is it's called "Dimensions" ... and clearly for packaging. So, you'd think they'd concentrate on getting the packaging dimensions correct lol 

Again, thanks for doing the real test!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2023 Aug 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's actually called "Dimension" so it only deals with one (I'm Joking! 🙂 )
Dimension can be a bit wonky with well... dimensions.
I wouldn't say it's a mock up tool per say, I've done very little mock ups with it, but actual staging (integration of objects within an environment) but the point is moot there.
In case that helps, you can have a go with the new mock up tool within Illustrator Beta
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Xa7rw-slw
and that bit of wonderful thing that is fantastic fold 🙂 (you can export .obj files which will probably better measured in in dimension proper)
https://www.fantasticfold.com/#
Fantastic fold won't probably work for your bag, given the construction, but it may help you for other projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2023 Aug 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines