• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Having to force quit render

Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an optimum pixel size for a dimensions render?, even switching the background off instead of a clear render it renders the co-ordinate wireframe on the PNG. Switch the background on 10k x 10k image size - admittedly big but needed for a project, it claims to be rendering, but after 21 hours, its up to 94% with no 3D assets appearing, even three or four primitives, and just jams. I have a 2012 macbook pro with 8GB of RAM. An Insufficient memory warning like photoshop and a better progress bar would save a lot of heartache. It bricks my laptops functionality when it renders. I've tried rendering straight to .PNG forgoing the luxury of layered PSD files, but its still woefully slow compared to other apps I have. Whats the best config for this app? thanks! Don't get me wrong it's a nice product.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Oh I know Michael. It was a one off. I bought a new mac with double the ram, since apple thoughtfully made my macbook unupgradable by having no expansion slots and soldering the ram to the motherboard, it's much better, still gets stuck on the last 4% for ages though. Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi atomicbus,

10k square pixels is indeed a monster image size - I can't say I've ever needed anything that big. It's enough to print a wall sized poster (3'-4' square) with enough detail to scrutinize from 6" away - is that truly what you're going for?

Have you considered trying a smaller sized image first, just to check your system functionality with render? Start small, with low complexity projects; check to make sure it's working OK; then move to bigger and more complex projects to see where it breaks.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I know Michael. It was a one off. I bought a new mac with double the ram, since apple thoughtfully made my macbook unupgradable by having no expansion slots and soldering the ram to the motherboard, it's much better, still gets stuck on the last 4% for ages though. Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm impressed that any Mac can rendor such a file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeanette from the product team here!  Just wanted to chime in a bit.

1.  Dimension doesn't really have a minimum, maximum, or ideal render size.  It is highly reliant on hardware and scene complexity.

2.  Being open about shortcomings is important to me as a product lead and Dimension has a lot of room for improvement in terms of scalability, performance under stress, and error/warning handling.  It's just not something we handle gracefully right now but I am actively working on improving this area of the application.'

That said there are 2 possibilities.  Either your computer is still in the 'pre-calculating phase' or there is a bug.  Dimension's render has two passes.  The first pass will show basically just the background image while Dimension calculates all the lighting.  Then it begins a second pass where the 3D content starts showing up.  It's possible this scene is just so massive and complex plus the addition of an older machine that it's taken 20 hours for precalc and that's why the 3d content isn't showing up.

The other possibility is that it's bugged.

If you can send the actual .dn scene you used I can do some tests to see if I can render it on a power machine at least.  Can e-mail to jnet @ adobe . com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I have the same problem. However, my size is only 4000 pixels by 4000 pixels. All it shows is the "estimating" and nothing else after 3 hours. I have an acer predator helios 300; 2060 rtx and 10th gen i7 processor for my laptop. I'm hoping it's just a bug. Please help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Posting a me too in an old thread is not a good idea mate

The issue you describe tends to be Ram, temp folder or Gpu related (in that order)

A large file needs more Ram and the laptop may be busy doing other stuff or just doesn't have enough

If smaller files failed to render as well then you have to check folder permission and with laptops especially you also should check the correct Gpu settings i.e, not a Cpu hybrid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok sorry about that.

My laptop has 16gb ram. When i check the specs on my laptop for Adobe, it says that it is above recommend...i also had to update the GeForce drivers (which is new to me) so it could be that or what you said. Thank you for you help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

16G Ram is ok for a laptop but on the small side for a rendor machine... if you want to share the Dn file so people can test it to see if more Ram will work around the issue

also updates to Gpu drivers are just a BS thing they tell you to do without looking at your issue. It is uncommon to fix these kinds of problems and can offen actually make things worse so be careful

p.s, again do smaller files rendor fine? if yes then don't change your drivers or folder permissions yet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checked in with engineering on this.  Can't say 100% without seeing it, but we believe it's caused by the render being larger than we can store in memory.  Once the render reaches 100% the final result will 'pop' in, but we're missing messaging about this case.  I put it on the list of things to do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines