• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HELP! Newbie to Adobe Dimension

Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone tell me if Adobe Dimension is capable of LATHING objects? If so, how? Also, is it possible to model hollow objects such as a ping pong (table tennis) ball, a box or a shadow box type of object? If so, how?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok translation first; LATHING = extrusion which is old school way of making objects because that is how many machines make them in real life

to answer your question, no Adobe Dimension can't make extrusion nor can Photoshop because 3D was removed however Adobe has sticky taped a 3D extrusion system into their illustrator so you could make your model with that

hollow oblects are makable in any true 3D tool like Blender, Iclone or even Maya... once you make the model then Dimension can colour it yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I used the term "lathe/lathing" because - if you are old enough to have been around for Adobe's 1st round attempt to 3D vectors - back in the late 1990's - early 2000's, they offered a stand alone product called Adobe Dimensions, that worked alongside Adobe Illustrator. The process of creating a hollow body such as a coke bottle for example, or a vase, or a cylindrical lamp shade, you could simply draw half of a vector profile of the shape, open the shape in Adobe Dimensions, select the preferred axis you want to "revolve" or "lathe" the shape around and then either manually lathe it, or enter the amount of revolve/lathe , ie 360º or 180º, etc. and the result would be a complete vessel - which depending on your source file - could either be solid or hollow. See attached screen shot samples I have provided. Then you could actually add a texture to it or map a graphic onto it. I was wondering - as I explore the new and improved Adobe Dimension, if I could simply extrude a hollow body such as a shadowbox picture frame or a clothes drawer for example out of a simple vector shape such as a rectangle. So far, I have been unable to find such an option. Which I find somewhat ridiculous - since it seems like such a basic/rudimentary thing to do in a 3D program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the bottom line here is Adobe does whatever Apple allows... when a Mac comes out that can handle half of the 3D line up Windows systems currently take in their stride we will see more Adobe products covering the basics

until then Blender, Iclone, Maya etc

p.s, yes I'm old now and still have a copy of Dimensions on a Vbackup

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After positing my query in this forum, and investigating and testing it further - I have found the 3D capabilities currently found on the current version of Adobe Illustrator (v25.4.1) to be very similar to the offerings of the classic stand-alone version of Adobe Dimensions circa 1995. Because of my previous experience with classic Adobe Dimensions, I was able to successfully create a quick mock of a hollow vector cylindrical vessel. Thank you for your feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines