• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How object and camera rotations work in Dimension?

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I hope you can help with something that I've been wrecking my brains for a while. 🙂

I need to export Camera and objects to Cinema 4D from Dimension and at the minute the only export format we have is OBJ. Which as far as I know does not take the camera information with the file. (Please tell me if I'm wrong).

So I found a workaround where we place a specific "camera" cube that matches the position and rotation of the scene camera.

The position works perfectly fine, but there is no way of matching the rotation.

So, how does Dimension calculates the rotation of the camera in 3D space and how can we copy those values accurately into an object, please?

This would be great to know and perhaps help other users.

Thank you in advance!

Andre

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I have tryied there is difference when you are exporting 3d file from Dimension in case you are exporting selected object or whole scene.

Try this 2 possibilities and see if this can help in case importing into Camera 4D. 

Also try to add camera bookmarks when exporting obj.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ares,

Thank you for coming back to me!

Unfortunately, I've tried both exports selected or scene and still no luck. Even if I bookmark the camera.

So not sure what else I can do.

Thanks for your help! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. you are correct that Obj does NOT include camera... Fbx does allow for camera but [at this time] Dimesnion does not export camera except for inside Dn file types which unfortunately the dev team has not got working correct yet i.e, they are busted and should not be used!
  2. Cinema 4D is very old software that few people still use... a work around, for the full system [not the free light demo] is to export the background image Dimension makes when building its lights from your background image and use that to rebuild your lights \ camera angles in C4D... its a pain but it works

p.s, how Dimension builds its lights is not public sorry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ussnorway,

Thanks for coming back to me!

1. Definitely needs implementing as its crucial for 3D pipelines.

2. I'm not sure what you mean about building the lights from my background image. Can you clarify or is there something you can point me to read please?

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Ussnorway mean image based lights https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image-based_lighting

Please also review https://helpx.adobe.com/dimension/using/lighting.html#:~:text=Dimension%20is%20a%20design%20tool,lig....

When Dimension Matches background image it build image based light also. You can choose free 3 modes from matched image.  After matching you can edit that tlights from Properties panel 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ares,

Thanks for clarifying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely needs implementing as its crucial for 3D pipelines.

I don't think so but I'm not a fan of Fbx in general because it doesn't have a standard or am I even the right person to talk too... you can vote for making Dimension more like Autodesk here

https://feedback.adobedimension.com/forums/552559-adobe-dimension-feature-requests/suggestions/31941...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Ussnorway,

I don't really care what the format is in this instance, to be honest. My objective is to get the camera and object data.

The point of exporting assets is that you pass them along in a pipeline. A camera should be part of that process.

Perhaps Adobe will fix it soon! 🙂

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines