Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to animate Dimension models

Participant ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

How can I animate a 3D model that I created in Dimension? I would like to be able to record camera movements of my rendered model.

After Effects and Animate don't seem to import Dimension models, and I can't think of any other Adobe apps that I could use...

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, you can't in Dimension but you can do that with AE, depend of your model, if you export the model as an obj file.

If it's a character you need to have the T model, and export to Mixamo to set the movement and assign an animation.

https://www.mixamo.com

But if you can show us the model and explain a little more about it maybe we can find a solution 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I exported as obj from Dimension, got an obj file, but After Effets can't open it (doesn't recognize .obj), tells me there's an 'error'.

Arengu_0-1653057828034.png

My model is a jetpack (attached) that I'd like to get a video of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, your is an SKP not an obj. you need to have an Obj file but (AE don't import OBJ) the best way is to open with C4D lite from After effects and made your animation Or set the camera you want in Dimension but i think it can be very long to do !!!

Or with a plugin for AE like Element (videocopilot), trapcode ...
Tell us what is your best path?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that the model I sent you is an skp, I should have sent this dimension file I suppose. Cinema 4D is not an option (technical issues), but the plugin ideas sound interesting.

I'd previously tried saving lots of camera views of my object, each view slightly turned in the way I wanted, and then rendering all those and exporting them into Premiere to make a rather short video, but I was wondering whether there was a more straight-forward way than that.

Due to technical limitations, I can't install/access any other apps than the Adobe ones, thanks anyway Ussnorway. And by the way I'm on Windows, so I guess that only limits my options even more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obj is in fact a standard... read as wavefront Obj but what Dimension exports is not

in other words not all Obj files are the same because software sellers tend to make their own version which then doesn't work with anyone elses

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2024 Jun 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can export a .GLB of .OBJ file from dimension. Then you can inmport programs such as belnder and animate there. Alternatively, you can import your .GL:B into MS PowerPoint and do sop basic 3D animation there using the morph transition and/or some of the default animation effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have Windows systems then the best option is Iclone with Real or Blender being free tools for people learning

Mac users can get good results from Unity if they are willing to put effort into the learning curve.

Adobe makes software aimed for Mac so only has limited 3D and 4D options

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 17, 2024 Jul 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to understand your question. Do you want be able to record while orbiting  your moves around 360°, on a Mac I do command +shift+ 5 it will activate screen recording,  later you can make a gif file out of it so you can see your object from all directions with a much s,aller file a small file, I hope that's what you trying to do.

here is an example

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2024 Jul 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

paning the camera is different to animation... the op wants animation i.e, a movie where the human model walks around like a real person would

Adobe doesn't have a real in house fix but many people are happy to use free tools like Blender to work around this short fall

still don't know what animation is then watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhG8vK9SD2I

Get iClone 8, Character Creator 4 (CC4) & all Plug-in https://shrsl.com/4n99y - 📢Join 2024 Reallusion 3D Contest (MAY 15 - SEP 01): TOTALLY 3 URL(s) START... Blender Pipeline | iClone 8 & Character Creator 4 https://rebrand.ly/9k6km03 CC Control Rig | iClone 8, Character Creator 4, Unreal Engine 5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines