Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I would like to render a 3d space

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

(Sorry if this was asked before, I am new to these forums and I could not find the answer I was looking for.)

I have a design going into a complex room and I was asked to render the space in 3D to show off the final look. I have the design built in InDesign, with Photoshop and Illustrator elements.

What's more the designs on the wall will change over time, so I would need to be able to update the walls with the new designs for future projects.

I downloaded Adobe Dimension but quickly learned that putting in exact measurements is not possible (but I could be wrong). I am familiar with illustrator but I am not sure how I would change the camera direction ("This is what the space looks like to the North West. And here it is to the South East." Etc.).

Ideally I would like to be able to map out a space using exact measurements. Click on the wall or the ceiling and quickly update the graphic, from say a saved pdf or jpeg. And then (re)render the space. And since the wall dimensions should not be changing, have the space saved for the next time we need to update the graphics.

Is there any Adobe product that can do this? Is there a hidden feature in say illustrator that I am not seeing that will allow me to change the "camera"?

Thanks!

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

[Comments is to ask about the operation of the Forum, not a specific program]

[Moved from the Comments forum to the Creative Cloud forum... Mod]

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

check dimension cc and fuse cc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply!

Does fuse do more then just human characters? I have not downloaded it mainly because it appears to not have the functionality I am looking for. But if it can do walls and ceilings as well then I will give it a shot.

I have downloaded dimension, but I could not find a way to to accurately give an object, well, dimensions. I would like to define a wall with a definite height and width. And not all of the walls are at right angles to each other and have other quirks. I would like to accurately show that as well.

Is that possible in Dimension? Did I miss something?

I was hoping dimension would be as precise as illustrator, but as of yet I cannot find a way to get to the accuracy that I would like to have.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i've never used it.  we'll see what the fuse experts say.

[moved from Adobe Creative Cloud to Adobe Fuse CC (Beta)]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes and no, 3d space is relative and that doesn't fit with exact measurements... what I do when I need a scene is make the basic room shape in Photoshop then bring that into Dimension

use textures | materials to quickly change the walls and use obj models for the fittings... this allows you to build up a 'room' that can be adjusted for different images but understand that Dimension is still young and only designed for still images... a true 4d space that you pan the camera in real time is the job of iclone

[i'll move this to Dimension forum... perhaps others have ideas]

p.s, the point of adding a Fuse character is to give perspective

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

I don't want to start getting into Fuse at all if I can avoid it (If all it does is add figures). I understand having perspective is important, but right now I am just concerned with getting art on the walls. Also I don't need an actual motion picture type of presentation. I don't even need realistic lighting or anything. Just a relative idea of what the final concept will look like from various camera angles in the space. So I can save them as jpgs and e-mail them out.

To be honest I don't want to spend more time on this then the actual designs themselves. I really wanted to generate a space that I can "drop" new designs in when needed. Basically I know a lot of work will go into it the first time I do this, to get all the walls right and in the right angles and sizes to each other, etc. But after that I was hoping for a plug and play type of workflow. (Relink all the old designs for the walls with the new ones. And done.)

The space itself is not large but it is highly complex, I have been making designs for the space for well over seven years now and they change about 4-12 times per year, but the idea of rendering it in 3D is a rather new development. It includes different types of windows, doorways, and other elements. all of which could or could not get artwork placed on them. To give an idea of the complexity, the room requires over 50 different templates, some of which repeat in multiple locations. So it's not a matter of trying to line up one or two things, there is a lot of elements that need to work in conjunction. Which is why I am hoping dimension (which I am a true novice at) has a more direct way of adding exact sizes and locations of those elements. Hopefully in a similar way that illustrator does.

I am actually kind of surprised that concrete dimensions is not so emphasized. I would think this would be an obvious thing to include. If I were displaying boxes and some were 5" inches tall, and others were say 8.5" I would like to see a realistic way the two look when placed side by side. Right now it seems I would have to just kind of guess at the perspective. And I don't know how useful that would be.

I under stand the program is young and it looks really nifty in the way it renders. And the concept for this is fantastic! But I am just kind of surprised it went through all of that development without someone going; "I want to make this object one foot long, how do I do that?" There must be a way, right?

(But then again, maybe there is some feature in illustrator that can do this as well? Is there away I can move the render camera around in illustrator? I don't know of one, but that does not mean there is not.)

Hopefully there is a way I can put actual sizes and dimensions on the objects so I can get this project moving. They asked me late on Friday if I can do this and I want to give them some idea of progress on it by Monday.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no the complexity is not relevant, to make a 3d space you would define the areas (give them a name) and then just swap art works in | out of that space in the same way you do with web images inside a frame... again Dimension is not a machinima so it only makes stills. if you post some stills of the design then that would really help

examples of machinima systems are iclone (pro level) or unreal (free hobbyist level)... they both make great designs but nothing in 3d is a foot long, only X, Y and Z dimensions which can be called cms, inches or miles | kilometres etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those look REALLY good. Thank you!

But again I DO NOT need fly throughs. Or anything that complex. Basically I need basic renders. Lighting and camera movement through the scene, are not important at all.

I think they are looking for things like "How will this look by the door, will this look odd when viewed from this angle" type of stuff.

I would love to show you concepts/designs, but I have to deal with multiple clients and even the owners of the area themselves. All of whom have different levels on NDA's, so... I could even you link you some articles written on the space, but I don't think I am in a position to do so.

I was hoping I can do this with all Adobe software as I am free to download any of the CC products I need. Going outside of Adobe may involve some redtape I am hoping to avoid.

Thanks Again! I may look into those just for some personal fun renders. But who knows? Maybe I can get my bosses to green light it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when you want to start here is a good example of Dimension making a scene with all the free parts needed... good luck mate

apply-2d-vector-art-to3d1800x1012.jpg

Apply 2D art to a 3D model |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks great. Much better resolution that I was going for as well. I just want to be able to place each element in exactly the right space and size.

Thank you again! You have been a great help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have accurately built up basic rooms or spaces using purely the properties panel. It takes a bit of prior planning but if you have the wall sizes and can figure out the centre-point of each one before hand, then you can just drag panels into the scene and do it all by the numbers. Pick a unit of measurement that you want to use as the X,Y,Z and it will all be to scale. This is of course easier if you round everything to the nearest whole number, which will probably dictate the unit you decide to go with.

If you start getting walls at funny angles then it becomes troublesome, but nicely right-angled areas shouldn't cause too many problems. You can then mount "frames" on the walls and update the artwork within them. It's easier than other programs in some regards, but you need to get used to the camera controls, and saving multiple viewpoints as you go to represent the camera's you would place in programs such as Unity.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if I can be much help here but I'm an Interior Designer and when we are looking to create a quick 3D model for a client to show dimensional space we use SketchUp, and it's free. 3D modeling for everyone | SketchUp shwartz_Pergola_052518_V1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

+1 for Sketchup.  Sometimes we use Sketchup for quick design studies.  There is a free browser-based version.  It's relatively easy to use. Try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines