• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image does not properly wrap around object

Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen a few other posts that seem similar, but they don't adequately answer this problem, unless the answer is simply that Dimensions does not do the very thing I expect it should do.

In the image attached I'm trying to wrap a grid around the cups, but even though the grid wraps and curves, it doesn't curve in a way that matches the perspective of the cup. yes, the grid image being placed is perfectly horizontal and vertical. The grid curvature on the lower cup is more severe than the grid curvature on the upper cup, so clearly Dimensions sees a difference between the angle/perspective of the two cups, it just doesn't map the graphics accordingly and accurately.

Am I crazy to think that if the grid image maps to the cup object, it should do so accurately?

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 10.50.52 AM.png

If I can map an image accurately (like below) in Illustrator, I should be able to do the same in Dimensions, no?

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 11.28.53 AM.png

Message was edited by: David Mikal Johnson added a second image

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you tried wrapping the decal on (without the lid on the cup) and then move the lid into position? It looks like the cup and the lid are being treated as one object? ...Just a thought

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have (see below) but it shouldn't matter. if I'm specifically wrapping to just the cup, the presence of the lid shouldn't have an effect either way.

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 7.41.36 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a real pain and yes I see what you mean

I just tried this, slightly better? With a much narrower decal. Anything wider had the same affect as you

Not ideal when you have to manipulate graphics this much....Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 16.58.26.pngUntitled-4.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, that's not really any better, but good to see that similarly wrong results are occurring for someone else.

...and in any case, “better” wouldn't cut it in a 3D app if it's not a geometrically perfect wrap. No one using this program should have to do anything extra to the artwork to achieve the proper results.

It kills me that the app knows to follow a curve and knows to logarithmically shorten as it wraps, and yet it doesn't understand the shape of the object being wrapped to follow it precisely and consistently.

getting a similar janky result with the can... just... nope. I'm done.

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 12.45.33 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever resolve this issue, because I can report it is still happening 4+ years later. Im having the exact same issue as your image above and have attempted to modify the graphic for the decal every wihich way I can think of. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you read the rest of the thread then you know the answer is yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

first image is yours (as is)... note the white boarder is part of the image and my second is with it trimmed by 20 pixels

cups.png

cups2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wait... are you addressing the white gappy joins? 1. that's not the issue at hand, but good to know and  2. how did you get your artwork to map correctly (referencing the cups on the left, where it is obvious that the artwork is accurately following the object)? that's the issue I'm having.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bajesus  wrote

how did you get your artwork to map correctly

looks like you are making them decals... [for full control] use them as materials instead mate

Adobe Dimension tutorials | Learn how to use Adobe Dimension CC

Screenshot (18).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're correct that I'm making them decals and not materials.

so... a cup with a grid on it is not my end game, I'm trying to wrap a soup label around a cup, the grid was just a good way to test and visualize the inaccuracy I was getting when I tried to wrap the label. I can't turn the label into a material because it covers the entire surface, inside and out. I'm not able to post the attempt with the actual label because of a non-disclosure.

regardless, my issue is that I anything, be it material, decal whatEVER, should properly map to the object and follow its contours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bajesus  wrote

I'm trying to wrap a soup label around a cup

then you need a material because a decal doesn't go all the way around

bajesus  wrote

I can't turn the label into a material because it covers the entire surface, inside and out.

yes it defaults to that but you can make edits to adjust it... seriouly worth watching the tutorials like this one

Make selections |

bajesus  wrote

regardless, my issue is that I anything, be it material, decal whatEVER, should properly map to the object and follow its contours.

examples

cup3.png

the cup in front is a decal and the two behind are materials... try looking at them in 3d and see what happens when you turn them around

3d test link = https://adobe.ly/2UXeUI3

[edit; link to dimension file used to make this example = https://adobe.ly/2GFNRNC ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not even on the same page as me and my original question... this isn't about a seamless join of material wrapping completely around the cup. it's about Dimension not accurately wrapping graphics to the objects

look at the two cups below:

the cup on the left is Dimension giving me the inaccurate mapping of type graphic to the cup. the type doesn't correctly follow the edges of the cup... it bows in a strange way that is inconsistent with the shape of the cup. the verticals of the type don't follow the verticals of the cup. same with the horizontals

the cup on the right is how i expect the type graphic to wrap.

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 9.39.37 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-12 at 9.42.05 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes I agree Dimension sometimes gets it wrong by default but that is why people still hire humans

cups4-Current View.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your choice of font on the right obscures how it's wrapping.

do me a favor. here's the coffee graphic I used. Take the lid off the cup and try to place this on the cup in the same size and position as in my example previously. and then if you can get it to wrap properly, please explain what you did.

type.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know the cup size, position or camera angle and this is an image not a font so only eyeballing it...

cup5-Current View.png

as for how;

• this is a decal (because your example doesn't go all the way around) and if the design had say a stripe around the cup I'd use a material instead

step 1 is use the magic wand to select the outside of the cup (so it doesn't show inside) and drag a decal graphic onto this selection... you could also use a material but in this case I went with a decal

Screenshot (2043).png

step 2 is edit the decal in Photoshop, I tried a small line first but your design calls for a bigger font... again you gave me an image so there is some inherent distortion so you should use a font for this step

Screenshot (2047).png

removed the base graphic (to match with your design) but keep the space because the cup will just be all letters without it

Screenshot (2048).png

without space you end up with this "coffee" in the middle of your decal instead of at the top like mine and the cup edge will be hard to butt up to... also a material gives more adjustments so you don't need the extra space as much if you go with that option

Screenshot (2050).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you try Export UV's in DImension? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines