• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image won't apply to entire model

Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't get dimension to let me apply a graphic to the entire model at once.

I can place the image on the model in different sections but how do I get it to apply to all the sections at once?

Moving the image jumps it to different areasMoving the image jumps it to different areas

As I drage the image on the model it jumps from section to section.

There is only one material on the model and

I've tried Generate UVs - but that didn't help

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

share the Dn file and please

that model has more than 1 part

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway,

Hi here's the file.  Sneaker Issue 

I can only give you a piece of the sneaker because the model is not mine to share.

If you have a solution please let me know how I can apply your solution to the entire model.

I have Photoshop and Lightwave 3D to work with.

THANK YOU!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your model consist of several part thats why it not possible to place decal on whole surface as one image. In Dimension it have been placed seperately on each of part. 

I try to group, select all parts with selection tool and merge them by placing one material on all of them at once (which Dn allows) but after creating a new material Dn again place image on each part separetly. I think you need to use any other 3D app to merge that parts into one.  

Looking forward for Ussnorway suggestion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ares,

Thanks for your insight.

I have Lightwave 3D  with Modeler.

I will see if I can combine the parts in there... don't know Lightwave too well, but worth a try.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try to group, select all parts with selection tool and merge them by placing one material on all of them at once (which Dn allows) but after creating a new material Dn again place image on each part separetly

that will work if you link the materials between models but the UV map will be very random by default

Screenshot (624).png

Screenshot (633).png

I have Lightwave 3D  with Modeler.

that is the wrong tool for the job imo. Stl is a file type designed for 3D printing and doesn't allow for surface textures like Fbx or Obj does

what are you after?

for outfit design use 'marvelous designer' instead or even Blender which is more of a general 3D tool... the bottom line is Dimension works as intended and this issue is happening because of the model which you only shared one part for has limited UV map and should also be done in more polly

for quick example I show it next to some Fuse shoes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I use Microsoft 3D buider for merging your object. After exporting as STL/GLB/OBJ) and import into Dn I was able to place your image on 1 and 2 parts (see image) but not beetwen 2 and 3 as they are turn on 180 degree relative to each other and image appears on the inner side of the part 2.

Annotation 2020-08-10 190836.jpgAnnotation 2020-08-10 190710.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines