• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import OBJ with groups or FBX with correct colors?

New Here ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

i have made some models in blender which contains some groups of objects (made with parent). When exporting as OBJ and importing to Dimension these groups are gone. I tested all possible export settings but nothing worked.

Then i tried to export as FBX ... and the groups show up! BUT: The materials look different now and, even worse, they are all different colors now and not linked anymore AND the Names of the materials are gone!

See also screenshots.

Both is really annoying. Can anyone help?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

don't link images ... people will not download them because they are afraid of virus mate

screenshot_1.JPG

screenshot_2.JPGscreenshot_3.JPGscreenshot_4.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dimension is doing the best it can to translate your Fbx and Obj files... ime you are always better to use Obj because unlike Fbx that is a standard which is set

the fix is to import the Obj then select it {or just the small parts} and pick a material from the Dimension list... you can then edit it for colour etc

grouping is just a temp thing i.e, only in Blender (or whatever) you can regroup | ungroup sections after bringing them into Dimension if you like... also look up 'nested objects'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your info.

But the question was not how to change colors in Dimensions but how to save a obj oder fbx so that color names and groups will remain. I´d prefer fbx cause its one file and don´t need an additinoal mtl file.

Any idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

again 'groups' are a temp thing that does not export from Blender... you can link or nest 2 objects together if you like and that will then export

I use Blender 2.79 {which is not the lastest] and link objects by dragging one up and dropping it on top of the other... this makes them one single obj when they export i.e, one material

Screenshot (3214).png

you can make a custom material in Blender and call it whatever you like but I don't know anyway to make custom names for colours because colours are a standard

Dimension is just reading the info stored on the file... if Blender doesn't add that data to the export file then Dimension has no way to know what you want and will just use defaults until you tell it otherwise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the info.

It´s not true that grouping can´t be exported from blender. At fbx its possible!

Dimension is just not able to interpret the materials at fbx or parent-groups at obj exported from Blender correctly. Materials are also not correctly interpret at obj but the color names (yes ... of course you can name colors in Blender!) are at least correct.

The answer to my qestions is: No, there´s no way to export from Blender in a way that Dimension can import correctly.

At the moment, Dimension is more like a toy for designers and for most common purposes. Hope that will change in the future ...

Anyway. Thanks for your efforts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines