Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import your own 3D files

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm currently busy with a packaging design project. Is there a way to import my own packagings in Adobe Dn.

I designed a serie of shampoo bottle's and matching cartons in Solidworks. But the main problem is that i can't make a .obj file directly.

If I export to a stl and then by using meshlab to a .obj, i get one object instead of a bottle and a bottlelid. Which have a different color ofcourse.

Need your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Hi Marteen!  If you can send a sample .obj then we can see why the different groups aren't being respected on import and fix that.  You can send it to tickets@adobedimension.com (confidential, will not share, for debugging only). 

If you can't get them as separate objects on import you can use the Magic Wand tool to select the pieces.  Just set the tolerance to "Large" and then make a selection and it will break down the pieces for you to apply materials.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. your bottle obj can be one object made up of two parts i.e, the lid can be black medal and the body a tinted glass
  2. import the poor quality obj into Photoshop first then export it as a wavefont obj from Photoshop... gives best possible result but a very low quality obj can only improve so much then you have to make a better one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Marteen!  If you can send a sample .obj then we can see why the different groups aren't being respected on import and fix that.  You can send it to tickets@adobedimension.com (confidential, will not share, for debugging only). 

If you can't get them as separate objects on import you can use the Magic Wand tool to select the pieces.  Just set the tolerance to "Large" and then make a selection and it will break down the pieces for you to apply materials.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines