• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing transparent layers / PNGs into Dimensions

Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating some AR collages which I've had success with by importing PNG's direct to Aero. However I'd like to build these collages in Dimension (It's a pain to build them in Aero). Is there a trick / work around to export what would be a transparent PNG file, for example a still image that appears to be cut out, as a 3D file? 

Basically I want to assemble 3D collages from flat elements that appear cut out. I don't want to apply jpegs to pre-exisiting models which are resticted to siomple shapes.

I've messed around and there's some shaky workarounds that result in massive OBJ files when exported frpom Photoshop, so hoping there's a logical way to do it.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. It is possible to make a transparent Png texture in Photoshop and that loads into Dimension with out issues
  2. It isn't available in Dimension by default because the new drivers don't handle transparency well but the work around of editing textures in Photoshop to add transparency then sending them back to Dimension for rendor works well without making any difference in file size
  3. Transparency in Fbx format is bigger because the latest version adds bs packing to the files
  4. Please post some pictures of what you are looking to make

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. Please see attached image for explanation of what I am trying to do. Bascially we've been able to assemble 3D collages in apps other than Adobe's but looking to easily export transparent PNG layer files out of Photoshop to be used in Dimension to assemble these collages (think a cut and paste zine aesthetic split into layers that a viewer can walk through when viewing in Aero).Example.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in your image the man has a white boader around him and that is the one part I would have made transparent so he blends into the background of the shops. you could also make the man fit onto the card without any boarder but thats up to you... imo a standard card shape where every man | woman fits onto the same base card would look better than each person on their own shape

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right, the person is on a white piece of paper, scanned and cut out. Having an image mapped onto a standard square kind of defeats the purpose of the design as it is meant to appear as a unique cut out shape. I'll just have to press on and see how I can get a PNG file out of Photoshop and into Dimension as it seems like you just can't unique shapes out of Photoshop to float in Dimension. A bit weird, as it seems so simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just came across this as I am trying to do the exact same thing. Want a custom cut object from Photoshop to hang in 3d space, like a transparent PNG. It's so off that something that comes standard in virtually all AR packages is still not possible in Adobe's eco system...

[moved ussnorway]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you don't have the same issue and the answer J gave him is for a different version of Dimension

here is an older post [my work around still works in this build]

https://community.adobe.com/t5/dimension/mapping-graphics-to-form-without-a-texture/td-p/10376204?pa...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's more or less what I'm trying to do, but when I downloaded the zip file from that thread to try it out with the new Dimension (succesfully added my own image) it's stuck with the decal shape. If I could somehow replace that decal shape with a standard square it'll pretty much fix my problem as I can just apply all the weird cut out shapes I want to that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is it possible to share your file?

or replace the opacity map as I showed... white = there and black = hide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Solved it! Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines