Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

issue with PNG transparency on a transparent material

Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've encountered a problem when rendering a transparent label on glass material. As a result, I get a white stroke around all objects with a transparent background. My png24 file is super clean, high-res and has no stroke. Is it a bug or am I doing something wrong? I've been working with numerous 3d apps and never had this issue.whitestroke.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Thanks a lot! I've dug a bit further and found an issue within the app that is also responsible in a way for the bad results on all textures.

The problem is that apparently Dimensions has a size limit for the textures (in pixels) and if you exceed that limit, it will downsample your image to the highest allowed resolution. So for example, if you apply one large label image on your product of let's say 4000x4000 resolution, dimensions will downsample it to the maximum allowed 1024x1024 (this is an

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 22, 2018 Dec 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would assume the text does in fact have a few white pixels on the text borders and you didn't see it at normal view... looks like Dimension is up scaling the text

I would open it in Photoshop and resize the image to the correct "needed" scale or you could make it illustrator and just point to the AI file which should both give you the right results

how to = Dimension for Illustrator users |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2018 Dec 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, that's not the case. The text and the rest of the graphics is perfectly clean png24 created straight from an illustrator vector file. I've double checked everything. I've tried to do the same with some default transparent media that that come with the app (the starter kit) and there's an exact same issue. I'm guessing it's a bug in the app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 23, 2018 Dec 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you want to dropbox the files I can test them for you?

p.s, you can uninstall Dimension and reinstall the older build... if that works then yes it is a bug in the new rendor driver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2018 Dec 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for a very late reply, couldn't get on PC during Christmas time.

I really appreciate the help! Here's the file Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Let me know if you find anything. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 27, 2018 Dec 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The disclaimer: I don't work for Adobe, I'm not longer involved in the pre-release for Dimension and I don't have the model or other files you used so this is a best guess based on what you gave me and my personal experience

I don't believe this is a true bug but more a combination of small errors + the results of choices

Adobe Dimension can't rendor transparent pixels into a Png file, the option to remove the background entirely was dropped a few versions back... I assume this was done to speed up rendor times but I'm not in that loop

• The font on your decal image does have a small stroke... Repairing it is possible but the results are subtle
  • The decal on your example image is being upsized
  • you also have lighting effects

Screenshot (1796).pngScreenshot (1797).png

• Possible work around;

I would rendor the fist image (the one in your example screenshot) as a Psd file

Then I would replace the background image with a single colour and re-rendor as a new Psd... Your image has green light so I went with that

A Psd has transparently built in so open the first file, drag in the rendor layer from the second file, then mask around the effected text to eyeball the results you want

glasstest.gif

I have included my working out files

https://adobe.ly/2LCK447

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot! I've dug a bit further and found an issue within the app that is also responsible in a way for the bad results on all textures.

The problem is that apparently Dimensions has a size limit for the textures (in pixels) and if you exceed that limit, it will downsample your image to the highest allowed resolution. So for example, if you apply one large label image on your product of let's say 4000x4000 resolution, dimensions will downsample it to the maximum allowed 1024x1024 (this is an example resolution, don't know the maximum but it's very low).
This is my source file and a result in dimensions: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak5E_O3vH8JAgoBUMI4yOxSCF_XMJg
super sharp source file but an extremely blurry result

SOLUTION:
cut your graphics into smaller pieces and apply it one by one to your product. I took out a text from my label and saved it as a separate file. Same pixel density, but it's just a small piece of the label https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak5E_O3vH8JAgoBTBLmbXLZXoug9wQ
and the results https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak5E_O3vH8JAgoBSpHS2ZkLEytvq-w

now that the text is rendered in higher resolution, the white stroke is almost fully gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines