• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Manner to set newly re-sized object's Scale as "1" for XYZ?

Participant ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I received an .obj file from a co-worker of an object, but its native dimensions were too small. So, in Dimension I changed their Size XYZ to the dimensions that I needed and it looks good. However, the Scale is now not "1" for XYZ of the object, it is now Scale of "102.8" for XYZ (because I had to make it that much bigger!).

The problem is that when I place a decal on to the new bigger object... the decal is incredibly large, since the object's Scale is now "102.8" for XYZ because I had to make it bigger. I would like to change the current size that I edited... to be Scale of "1".

• Is there a way to re-size an object in Dimension... and then set that new size as the Scale of "1" for XYZ?

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 4.04.58 PM.png

Thank you if you can help with with this, as I do not know how to edit the .obj file that I am importing.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

export the model as Obj... when you import it back in it will be 1:1 scale

1.png2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

export the model as Obj... when you import it back in it will be 1:1 scale

1.png2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ussnorway does it again. Thank you!

I did want to add one note, for anyone whom should need this informatoin in the future:

When exporting said Obj, Dimension will export it in centimeters. So make certain that you have whatever you need as a size, in the equivalent of centimeters... to bring it back in as a Scale of 1 for XYZ in the size that you want.

For example, I was working in millimeters and had X 68mm, Y 157mm, Z 68mm all in millimeters (as in photo above). When I exported the Obj and brought it back in... it had the correct numerals for a Scale of 1, but they were in centimeters of X 68cm, Y 157cm, Z 68cm ... all in centimeters. Which, had my Obj being ten times larger than I needed it at a Scale of 1. To remedy this, I simply adjusted my millimeters to what I knew would make them an equivalent in centimeters. So, I exported an Obj with the following of X 6.8mm, Y 15.7mm, Z 6.8mm ... knowing that when I imported that exported Obj, it would be in centimeters.

Upon importing, it came in at a Scale of 1 with the (correct numeral) dimensions of X 6.8cm, Y 15.7cm, Z 6.8cm ... which when switched to millimeters (the units I prefer) ... became X 68mm, Y 157mm, Z 68mm.

And on we go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What am I missing, I changed the size to the numbers I needed the model to be, then I exported it as an object. I then imported the object and the numbers were not what I put in??? Any ideas? First pic is what I changed the size to (and you can see how the scale changed). Then the second pic is what the import looked like for 1:1:1 scale you can see it did not stay what I had put in? Help!!

Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 3.59.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-15 at 4.01.10 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines