• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Many many problems with Dimension

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never written a review of Adobe products because they are mostly excellent. They are what my entire career is based off of and I can't thank the developers enough for everything they do. That is why I am disappointed to have to write a negative review of Dimension but hopeful this feedback can help in someway. The very first thing, which may seem small, but the name of Dimension causes lots of problems when trying to google solutions to problems or tutorials. In the world of design, "dimension" is an extremely common and versatile word so searching for something with the word dimension does essentially nothing to narrow down the search to this app. The biggest in app complaint is that seeming at random, a majority of the time you open that app, the undo feature doesn't work. Not with the short cut, and not with the drop down menu. If you accidentally delete something, you better hope you saved recently because you need to completely close the app to get back what ever you had. The fact that graphics have a tiny pixel cap makes it almost unusable for realistic looking models. If you are working with a graphic, and you accidentally click off of it, you can't select the graphic again, you have to click on the shape, go back to the materials tab, find the one you were working on, and then you can manipulate it again. The fact that you can't add a texture and a graphic at the same time doesn't really make any sense. It means if you are doing a fill with your graphic the whole texture feature is useless. Scaling objects can only be scaled from the center or from one side, you can't pull one side out independently of moving the other. It should really just be like a bounding box for 2d in photoshop or illustrator. if you want to extend one side just a tiny bit, you have to scale from the center, move it, scale again, move it, again and again until it's right. The same thing applies for decals, you can only scale from the center, or from one of two sides but not the other two, and you want to be able to just pull on a corner and have it extend. When rotating objects the degrees are shown on the right but on the shape as you rotate it, it instead says the change of rotation. So if you rotated it to 53 degrees, if you want it back to 90 you need to subtract 90 from 53 and then rotate it that much. Graphics are automatically set to glossy, and because you can't layer textures and graphics, you get what you get. If a graphic goes over the edge of a cube even one pixel it stretches it all across the face it is now slightly touching, in a completely distorted and random pattern. sometimes you can see that stretch wrap the whole shape, or through to the inside if its an object like the hallow cube. when you place a graphic on an object its rotation is oriented by how your camera is looking at the object, not on the grid system. so that means if you are looking at your object at an angle it can be placed at 34.32 degrees but you can only change the degrees in increments of integers so you either have to pixel perfect rotate it with the handle which even then sometimes isn't fine tuned enough or just delete it and start over. all of the very few back drops are at an angle almost completely parallel to the ground, so if you want to be looking down at the product at all you have to go find another photo some where else. Even with just a few objects in the scene it starts to lag a lot. I've only been using this product for about 3 days and this is all I have time to write, there is definitely more. I really love the idea of the product and it does lots of things right but I just don't think it was ready to ship. My entire design class tried using it for a project and they all decided they would just use templates in photoshop instead. I'm not looking for a response to any of these problems, like I said I haven't been using it very long so some may be just my lack of understanding of the program but after this project I wont be using it again. Unless there is a massive overhaul and there are double the number of assets, textures, and lighting environments, as well as numerous bug fixes and quality of life improvements I don't think I will be coming back to it. I can't image the work needed to make a program like this and I am sorry that this has to be so negative because it's easy to criticize and hard to create, but I just felt something had to be said. Theres a lot of potential here and that's why it's so disappointing. It just needs some more time. And maybe a new name, for googles sake.

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , Performance , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for you detailed review of Dimmenion bugs and glitches. Some of them has been reported to Dn team for review. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines