Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Match 3D image to background, not the other way around

New Here ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand how you can match a background to a 3D file to make a rendering but man, is it a hassle for the purpose I use it for! I just realised that in my line of work I basically have to do the exact opposite: I render solar panel fields in their landscapes. The context is the important part and the 3D render has to fit within that context. The navigation tools don't make any sense for example as (accidental) scolling messes up the positioning of my 3D object in relation to the background.

There's one simple fix that I probably just overlooked: locking the grid once it's matched to the background. Is there a way to do that in Dimension? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

erik-janv20212374  wrote

so basically: how do I lock the current view so I can place my 3D object in its context?

you would bookmark (save) the camera at that spot then you can return to it at any time... you can even rendor your model from many different cameras at the same time in the end so if you need front + side views of a house for example

anyway it sounds like sketchup may be more to your needs so good luck with that mate

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is properly installed, the program works. it is just the workFLOW that i have major issues with. Maybe I'm too accustomed to sketchup for 3D work, but things take way longer because of how the grid behaves than they should do given how simple the task is.

This is what I wanna do: load a picture of my landscape, set the grid (i use dimension's horizon tool to match it to the picture), place the 3D model where it should be. The third step is giving me a headache because of how the camera behaves. Today I had to start over twice because my 3D model got "lost" somewhere outside the frame and it would've been more work to retrieve it then to start over.

so basically: how do I lock the current view so I can place my 3D object in its context?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please use this tutorial Match image | for matching 3d model into image.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

erik-janv20212374  wrote

you would bookmark (save) the camera at that spot then you can return to it at any time... you can even rendor your model from many different cameras at the same time in the end so if you need front + side views of a house for example

anyway it sounds like sketchup may be more to your needs so good luck with that mate

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. These tutorials are helpful for start with Dimension: Adobe Dimension tutorials | Learn how to use Adobe Dimension

Marlon Ceballos.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the recommendations everyone but none of these come close to what I'm looking for. I don't think this program is for me. The background image is considered an afterthought instead of the start of the render and the navigation tools don't make any sense to me (as does having a moveable, changeable canvas). I suppose it is very good for the narrow purpose of product placement/marketing where context/perspective doesn't matter as much (if at all).

I guess I'll start matching my images in sketchup 2019 and start using a third party rendering plugin.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines