• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Matching Vanishing Point Grid

Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to match furniture to an image of an interior of a room. I used the vanishing point filter in photoshop to make the image of the room into just three grids. I've tried changing the "field of view" slider in the camera perspective tab in Dimension so the lines for the floor and ceiling and the vertical lines on the walls match the grids on the 3d objects. I've attached the file below. If anyone can get the two sets of grids to line up I'd be greatly appreciative. Thanks

Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 9.03.52 PM.png

Link to dimension file

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yqbfJ9itc87Vj4KEwRg-F8kLT8TXki6W/view?usp=sharing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'd have to line up the angles because the objects are rotated.  If you look from a top view you can see that they are not 'straight'.  So they will never match at that angle.  I also don't think the result your looking for is actually possible in Dimension at the moment.  The Photoshop vanishing point is orthographic and not using perspective and foreshortening in a physically realistic way.  Dimension doesn't currently support orthographic cameras which would be needed to get the perfectly vertical walls, for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I made that change and still can't get them to match up though. Shouldn't the match image function work to line up the two grids? Any more info on how the match image function works or if the grids can be lined up manually would make my day

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UVriHlsFn3COFMp3qr9t9dOTfdBrs49j/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, as mentioned above, I don't think it's possible with what's existing today.  The grid that's used in the background is an artificial grid.  You can't actually have that view in Dimension because our camera always has foreshortening and perspective distortion going on.

Match Image does look for perspective information and try to match it, but it's unlikely it's going to be able to match to that degree of precision (and again since the underlying camera functionality isn't there, it wouldn't be able to exactly match it).

Can I ask why you need to match it exactly?  Is it a template you're trying to match to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh sorry about that, I didn't see the rest of your previous message. I read it in the email version I was sent and the second part wasn't included.

Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 10.12.16 PM.png

I'm trying to add furniture to photo of a room. Now that I know the camera in Dimension is orthographic I can work with that. Maybe I can render it very large and then distort it in photoshop to match the lines of the photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try adding the photo of the room as the background directly?  The match perspective will likely work better with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you mean, I've just been dragging the photo into the space and it makes it the background automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reread this thread and see that I got confused. I thought you said the camera in Dimension was orthographic, you said the vanishing point filter in photoshop is orthographic.

What I want to do is take a real life photo and match up the perspective to that and add furniture. I think I should be able to do that in Dimension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to figure out how the field of view slider in camera perspective works. Would I be correct to assume if I set it to 107 that would be the same as a 16mm lens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hehe, sorry.  I meant did you try just adding the real life photograph as your background instead of making a perspective grid?  That is what Match Image is designed for.  Here's a very simple example, but as soon as I load the image, it analyzes the perspective and matches my grid.

bgmatch.gif

Or did you try that first and it didn't work so you were trying to do it more manually?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah I tried that first. I made that other post in this forum asking about matching the perspective of the image of the room. I thought the match image function interpreted the image of the room into a grid to match the perspective. So I tried to make the grid myself so the program would more accurately match the perspective. I tried drawing a grid over the image, I tried just a grid without the image in the background. These methods don't seem to work 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines