Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Material color image is tiled

Contributor ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

new to Dimension, just discovered it and I love the simplicity of the UI. I wanted to add my own background image as a material but unfortunately it turns tiled. Anyone knows what's going on? Should that .jpg or .png have any particular properties? Mine is 4000 x 4000 px and 300dpi

Image below:

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 20.38.27.png

Material in Photoshop:

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 20.42.14.png

Regards,

Paul

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Hi Paul!  Glad you're having fun exploring.  This is one of the trickier things about 3D called "UVs".  3D models esesntially have to be flatted into 2D to have images placed on to them.  Artists do this by taking the 3D model and cutting 'seams' into it.  The pieces are then flatted out into what are called UVs.  Here's an example of the UVs of the Coffee Cup model that comes with Dimension.

Basically then any image you put into the image picker is stretched out to fill this "UV" square space an

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Paul!  Glad you're having fun exploring.  This is one of the trickier things about 3D called "UVs".  3D models esesntially have to be flatted into 2D to have images placed on to them.  Artists do this by taking the 3D model and cutting 'seams' into it.  The pieces are then flatted out into what are called UVs.  Here's an example of the UVs of the Coffee Cup model that comes with Dimension.

Basically then any image you put into the image picker is stretched out to fill this "UV" square space and the part of the image that is underneath that part of the UV is what's displayed on the model.

The result is that the same image would appear drastically different on different objects because of their various UV configurations.  At this time Dimension doesn't have a more direct "Gradient Fill" type option, but that's certainly something we could do!  You can post suggestions on our feedback forum to have people vote and get status updates on ideas:  Adobe Dimension CC Feedback Portal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines