Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Materials not showing - just the average color of the material

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

When I add any kind of material to my model, it just gets the "average color" of the material and nothing else. In the preview I can only see outlines, when it renders it just has the color - essentially same result as I would just add some random color to the model without any other properties. I can not seem to find any solution for this problem. How could I fix it?

See screencap video:

https://www.loom.com/share/c0f0cb41350a46e08341efacfd00d52c

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

What program you use to create that model or what type of 3D file is it? Did you try to "Generate UV's" in Dimension after importing? 

Is it obj? If yes, you need to import relative maps into Dimension. IMHO in consist only from single mesh as you have only one layer in Scene panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What program you use to create that model or what type of 3D file is it? Did you try to "Generate UV's" in Dimension after importing? 

Is it obj? If yes, you need to import relative maps into Dimension. IMHO in consist only from single mesh as you have only one layer in Scene panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is an .Obj file but you were right. I tried the "Generate UVs" after importing and now its showing the materials correctly. About importing the correct maps into Dimentions - Do you have any materials to share? I tried to search for any kind of information on how to do this but came up empty handed..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there are lots of Obj files but only a few standards... when your workflow needs a standard Obj {normally because you jump from 1 software to another} then look for wavefront | Obj and export as that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have obj file you can find all textures in .bmp format collected on one folder. After importing that obj file into any 3d app or in Dimension you can find your texture map loaded under it corresponding property as you can see in second screenshot. If it not there that means that path is not correct for that normal map (or image) and you need to manually load it by pressing on "+" button on the left for that property in Dimension.

Screenshot 2022-01-25 210514.pngScreenshot 2022-01-25 210734.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your thorough answer!

However, I misunderstood previously what you meant. These models do not come with any maps, I want to place different textures on them myself. For most models, the Generate UVs worked until now when it just got stuck and never generated anything (just stayd loading for more than an hour and did nothing) and therefore my innitial problem is again there. 

I thought that maybe I could generate the UVs somewhere else and import them somehow to Dimentions with my .obj file and that is what I was thinking that the "importing maps" meant. Well.. was hoping that thats what you meant 😄

I loaded the file into Google Drive so that you could take a look https://drive.google.com/file/d/13R6e5xTspu0-QGs2MKgH1eZkVaHtV5Pk/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

agreed the issue is that model and no its not a standard Obj but could be Stl... in any event Ares is correct that it needs to be fixed and if Dimension can't generate a UV map then your next best option is Blender

p.s, if you can't fix it yourself then share the model

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did manage to generate the UVs in blender but is there a way to import them to Blender? I do not mean the maps, I mean to UV, so I could add some Dimentions default texture to it and it would display correctly?

BTW, I uploaded one of the models where the "Generate UVs" from Dimentions does not work:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13R6e5xTspu0-QGs2MKgH1eZkVaHtV5Pk/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

the model is very big Glb file scaled down to limit size [i assume] for sending over the net

Screenshot (498).pngScreenshot (499).pngScreenshot (500).png

Blender can open \ rendor it but there isn't any UV data to open because its really a Glb pretending to be Obj... if you upsale scale it by 10 and then 10 again you will see it as it should be rendored

Dimension will be able to open it at that point but the Obj will be at least 300 mb without textures or Uv data by that point so I would cut it into smaller models unless you have a ryzen desktop that can handle big 3d files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines