• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.obj displaying incorrectly (with extra planes) in Dimension

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I created a simple 3D model of a drawer using Blender, and exported it as an .obj. As you can see from my screenshots, the model displays fine in both Blender and Photoshop, but carries strange additional planes when imported into Dimension. Any idea why this would be, and how I can fix it?

I created this drawer by applying a difference between two rectangular shapes (using Boolean modifier), and then a difference between the resulting shape and a cylinder. Would there be a better way to create this shape in Blender for use in Dimension?

Thank you!

blender display.pngphotoshop display.pngdimension display.png

TOPICS
Import and export , Mac , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

I will try this, thank you!

I ended up working around the issue by importing the individual sides of the drawer into dimension, moving them into place, and then grouping them. I've had to do this before because of issues with decals applying to all faces. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how to fix = convert the file to wavefront Obj in Photoshop then Dimension will read it correct

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try this, thank you!

I ended up working around the issue by importing the individual sides of the drawer into dimension, moving them into place, and then grouping them. I've had to do this before because of issues with decals applying to all faces. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Works for me thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's my guess, if you've used boolean operations there is a good chance it likly generated some n-gons ( 5 or more points) and something isn't handleing it well. I would try editing the object in Blender to correct any poly's in the area or split any poly's 5 or more points and see if that help or convert the object to quads or triangles. If you can view normals in Blender, you might also check if one is facing incorrectly or if there is double poly in that area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines