Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placed logo art rendering with stepped edges

Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I use Dimensions to place label art onto honey pots. The problem I am having is no matter how big I make the canvas I get a very poor result with stepped edges on the text once rendered.

Does anyone have a fix to this or is it a current limitation of the software that everything is actually only rendering at a very low res? I have tried playing with the Viewport anti aliasing also and no difference. Screenshots attached.

[Pictures removed because the author did not have customer permission... Mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

There is an internal resolution limit on the decals currently.  This will be fixed in a future update.

Render quality and the option for viewport anti-aliasing will not affect this.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2017 Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Anything i add a graphic too creates like a pixelated / compression look to the graphic and the material.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how big i.e, X by Y is the logo image... try making it as 5100 X 3300 then rap that image and rendor | test

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image I was using was 6000x2500

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried this also, made no difference. It feels like the software is only working in very low res and all the resolution options above 900 pixels are a ruse.. Adobe? What do you have to say on this matter? Problems like this need to be addressed before charging us all subscriptions for this product. Also if this is the end off the line for now on this subject, imagine how much time we have all been waisting choosing bigger canvases and the slow rendering. I waited 10 hours one time to get a result like this one i just posted. ?? Same result with a 5 minute render at a1000 pixel canvas...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

select the decal and replace the image by selecting a new copy of it... don't use your library

Screenshot (421).png

if that doesn't work then there must be an issue with your image or the model and we would need a copy of both to figgure out which one it is

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My decal was supplied from illustrator. I rasterised in photoshop and did tests up to 5000 pixels. no difference Just to make clear i am not using from the library.

i am using however the object supplied "rounded cube" from within the Dimensions software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an example.

The model is from Adobe Stock and the label is 6000px X 2500px

You can see even the 100% transparent areas of the PNG are affecting the aluminum texture.

WITH LABEL

with-label.jpg

WITHOUT LABEL

without-label.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There might be a limit for the level of texture quality Dimension renders, when I use mine there is no 'quality toggle' so I always assume the image used would be as is (uncompressed) which is not the case.

My suggestion would be: Try anti aliasing - art optimised, this should smooth those jaggies.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one took over 5 hours to render at slowest best quality render setting. Also with viewport anti-aliasing on. The art was optimised to relative size to canvas. Still very jaggy.

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 7.28.33 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-03 at 7.32.57 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an internal resolution limit on the decals currently.  This will be fixed in a future update.

Render quality and the option for viewport anti-aliasing will not affect this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So use a lower resolution image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know when this update is planning to roll out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the status of this decal rendering low res limitation? It's been many months now with no resolve but "working on it".

This limitation is rendering using Dimension for product mockups pretty much useless for what otherwise should be a great app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't yet know when this will be resolved as there are some related areas of the code in material and rendering system we have to update to make the resolution non-dependant on the base material textures.  We may not get the resolution issue fixed until 2019 but definitely we'll see if we can make it clearer what's happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite a long time to wait Jeanette but thanks for your prompt and honest answer instead of beating around the bush. Much appreciated.

I'm really looking forward to the decal rendering being fixed because the app has so much potential and more user friendly than other 3D apps for doing what we would like to do. I was really excited getting into it. Keeping fingers crossed for an early resolve. Cheers Jeanette.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate your appreciation, haha.  It' not always easy being honest.  We're working on multiple decals right now, and I think that might help with some of the resolution issues since you can break it up into a few components for wrapped images at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeanette, after spending some hours this week learning the program and then coming to this issue myself, I'm afraid I have to be a bit obnoxious here: you (Adobe) do realize that the purpose of this program is to place artwork onto 3D models? Why would you even make it available to the public, if it can't properly render decals? It boggles the mind!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i would up it

Screenshot (457).png

so instead of a big image at low (72) rez... I would use a smaller image at big (300) rez

anyway good luck with it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Ussnorway,

I would appreciate you being more knowledgeable on this thread instead of just theorising. Please attempt these theories before posting advice that is the opposite of what will work.

Thanks

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give that a shot but i dont think that will make a difference as that usually only applies to print. DPI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Steven,

I am with you, please give it  a go. Ha ha i just posted and it got removed where I challenged Adobe again... I posted an example of low res 288x778o decal where it was smoother and less stepped. My comment was.,, Adobe staff sent me personal email admitting to 2048x2048 pixel decal limit. Hence me accusing them of being dishonest with this process. Not with the admission after me challenging. but with pulling out the software where one can play with resolutions, and increase quality, thru waiting long periods for renders...

I would love this post to get to you.. but I am sure it will self destruct also like the last one that didn't look good for Adobe. Again we are on their website ,they own it!

I took a screen grab , but personally I cancelled my own subscript to Dimension CC today and am already learning how to do this better in other software. Also joining other review sites of this product that are independent and far more honest. ) with screen grabs of the last 2 days!!! ))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried scaling my graphic down to 2000px on the longest side and its still causing artifacts on the material underneath.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!! Your getting closer....

Now divide that by a 1/4 of that size and try again? You will get to where I did. Adobe advised best solution .. =

/ non "actual solution"

You will end up , hopefully same place as me, without artefacts , but quite soft. and blurry instead ..

In other words.. a very "Flacid" result.

Good luck to you all. Apart from the ACP robot..., +1 other. that actually may off may not have been real, that actually cared to tune into this thread... Steve something or another...

I am gone after this one. Like Auntie Maine said.. " Leave the losers behind"!!  

~ Onto better things!!

Please don't mind me,.. "Y"all" ...

Be Well!!

Matt

p.s.. "Porges"are much better than us Humans!

2017-12-30 17.51.49.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Add a 4096x4096 solid color image to the material's base color.

Dimension changes the decal's resolution to the material's resolution, so increasing the resolution of the material also increases the decal's resolution.

screenshots: Re: Decal's text looks pixelated when rendered

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines