Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Possibility to import complete assemblies in one file to Adobe Dimension

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

first of all: I am an absolute newcomer to Dimension and to 3D in general.

Is it possible to import a complete assembly (a product that consists out of several customizable parts) in one file to Adobe Dimension?

At the moment I have to import every single part of that assembly by its own to have the opportunity to customize them. That takes a lot of time...

We also tried to export a .STL-file with all parts in one file out of SolidWorks, but after importing it to Dimension it's been reduced to one part and so I am not able to customize each part of the product.

I would be glad about every kind of hint or tip... 😉

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

My solution:

Exporting the 3D file as a STL (include all parts in one file, ASCII) out of SolidWorks, open it in FreeCAD, click on "display components" (right-click on assembygroup in left menu under "Application"). Now open view -> workbench -> mesh design and export via "export a mesh to file" and save as alias mesh (*.obj).

Now, when you open this exported file in Adobe Dimension you are able to edit all parts of the assembly.

This works fine for me. Maybe there is an easier way to to that... Bu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try Obj? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it's possible as long as you use the standard file types and not one of the many "almost" files i.e, you Offen have to convert exported files back into Stl or Obj before bringing them into Dimension... Please share an example of one of the files that is giving you issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

p.s, a Stl is designed to be printed in a 3D printer... think like a toy model for kids to put together

example;

https://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/detail/jpl-vtad-voyager

I used this free Nasa model to make one of my images

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I'm not allowed to post the file here. Sorry.

We work with SolidWorks and STL is the only format that could be exported out of SW that is compatible with Dimension.

Does anyone has experiences in opening a SLDASM file in eDrawings viewer and exporting it out of eDrawings as STL? Are there any recommendations for a converter that allows us to convert an editable assembly from any SolidWorks compatible file format to an Adobe Dimension compatible and editable assembly format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to use any other 3d app for converting STL to OBJ.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are not allowed to make a basic square shape in SW and share it here?

SW is old software and there are many ways to make Stl files so sorry but without a file to test with, I can't really help you... best of luck with it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My solution:

Exporting the 3D file as a STL (include all parts in one file, ASCII) out of SolidWorks, open it in FreeCAD, click on "display components" (right-click on assembygroup in left menu under "Application"). Now open view -> workbench -> mesh design and export via "export a mesh to file" and save as alias mesh (*.obj).

Now, when you open this exported file in Adobe Dimension you are able to edit all parts of the assembly.

This works fine for me. Maybe there is an easier way to to that... But I didn't find it yet... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines